practice drawing

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I hope everyone finds this scroll a bit more pleasing than the last few months. pap

Attachments

• 2018-12-01 07.13.13.jpg
    2018-12-01 07.13.13.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 103

Bismuth

You have taken a step in the right direction. And you are on the right track to learn! In these rather simple scrolls the corrections are easier to make and understand.

A couple of observations:
The finials are out of proportion compared to the leaves. You need to make the the finials smaller. Spacing of the leaves is off, this tips the negative space out of space. Reduce the number of leaves, maybe draw them a bit bigger and space evenly. The backbones are rather thin, and will cause you trouble when cutting. Make the backbone stronger so it can support the weight of the leaves (try to imagine your scroll as a plant in nature, growing narurally). The outer leaf growing from between the scrolls is out of proportion and creates a focal point capturing the eye, disrubting the flow. The outer leaves need to be in balance with the size of the inner leaves and in balance with each other. You could in some cases "break it down" by adding folds, but in this case it is not the solution. The outer leaves are too small.

I know you will learn. This is a natural process of evolution. Everyone needs to go through it to progress. And the most important thing is that you are accepting the tips given to you. I can already see your lines getting smoother and more consistent.
Find some image reference of some simple scrolls, eg. Sam's beginners scroll. Place your drawing next to it and reflect the things mentioned. Draw the same design again and try to fix things mentioned.

Keep the pencils sharp and eraser at hand. Your patience will be rewarded.

Bismuth

papart1

Thanks for guidance Bismuth, your experience in art is a wonderful thing, I on the other hand am about as artistic as a onelegged man at a butt kicking contest. I do have Mr. Alfano's cd's 2, beginners and the start to finis knife project. Both are really inspirational, as you. I watch the beginners every day, 2-5 hours when I can. Best Regards, pap

monk

Staff member
something that seemed to help me-- a small opaque projector. blow the drawing up to giant size on a wall. that can change yer entire perception of the work you're drawing. at least around here, they're available in toy stores for just a few bucks.

papart1

is that the nomenclature........."opaque projector" please? Thanks Monk

monk

Staff member
they are usually called that. they can enlarge and project images of sheets of paper, mineral samples, most anything that will fit on the sample platform. the ones in toy stores have cast plastic lenses., but are good enough for enlarging your drawings. you may get them on the bay as well.

papart1

Monk, after you wrote about them I went to ebay/amazon and found them. Would be pretty handy:beerchug: thank you sir. pap

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
As drawing is the most important stage of a good engraving, you can t put enough time in it..
.. books can be interesting, but nothing beats a real teacher..
I advice some drawing class, to get a good understanding of Proportion and "riddum" (as Ron Smith says.). and...

if you want to draw a flower, it s better to take a real flower as model, rather than a drawing of a Flower...

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

I'm agree with Frank learning to draw is very important if you want to be a successfully engraver,our fellow engravers in England,Belgium,Germany,other parts of Europe must learn to draw there apprenticeship is about four years. J.J.

papart1

Thanks guy's, I have one of ron's books and have not looked at in many months, I will look at today and perservier, this balance senerio is something I really have to investigate, I think if I learn more about that, it would make life easier I believe pap

Latest posts

Sponsors