Critique Request Practice on brass ring.

mark c

how are you holding the ring? looks like you are getting to much vibraition . the ring looks like its jumping around, also are you useing a turn table? if not try putting some grease on the bottom of the ball that way you get a smoother turn and more even arch. Im just getting started also and i found that if i slow the graver speed down and the graver is real sharp i get a better cut and dont cut so deep the first pass. hope the idea helps . stay with it mark c

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jim,
Are you holding the ring with that rubber thing? If so, lose it. Hold the ring with something solid. Also, some brass can be a pain to bright cut too.

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jim, the ring is not easy to engrave. Strive for symmetry. Stretch your scrolls out more.

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
I could have picked a better ring for my first attempt. This one is very small 18MM OS it is curved couture and 6MM wide. Oh well the next will be better. Where is my 120? So far all I used was a small round and a flat.

Thank for the input.
Jim

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
jim: as for more or less speed- try both. see where they take you. your only sin here is a lack of practice. like your lettering- it gets better. the above post was critical: a small item like a ring must be anchored rock solid to avoid vibration, but beware to not crush anything.
actually there's ( i think) a couple of home brewed ring holders in the tips section. simple to make, even simpler to use.