Critique Request practice "plates"

Cloudy

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
One of the hints JJ Roberts had for me, was, since most of my work is on woodworking planes, why not make up practice plates of those shape (a "duh" moment for me!)- Here are 2 I've done:

Attachments

• flower.jpg
    flower.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 170
  • ship.jpg
    ship.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 157

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Good idea, Cloudy.
Another idea you might try.
Just cut the plane outline shape on a rectangular plate.
A lot less work. Then you can cut your border and design, ink it and print it on to the actual plane job.
Many engravers such as the late, great Frank Hendricks use this method for repeating standard decorative borders, flourishes and do-dads etc.
It also allows you to correct errors on the second cutting such as elbows or humps in scroll backbones.
Just a thought.
Love your sailing ship.
Best regards.

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Scrolls

Clouldy, Your scrolls have inproved a great deal,the drawing & practicing is paying off.Before you know it everything will fall togeather for you.Keep up the practicing. :yes J.J.Roberts

monk

Staff member
rather nice looking. i'm thinkin maybe a flower isn't proper for a tool. but then again, why not ??

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Cloudy, Those are real pretty, Your work is getting better all the time. How did you come to decide to work on wood planes if I might inquire. Very unique Fred

Last edited:

Cloudy

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Fred- I am a carpenter by trade, and worked for 16 years at a living history museum demonstrating 19th c. hand tool joinery... and I'm a tool junkie!

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well dang it, looks like I have to give the straight scoop again, but Catherine would expect no less of me.

I really like the flower one, love that as your start point and all scrolls flow correctly.

The ship is a different matter. I see four backwards flowing scrolls. Can you see them? Also you have an unusual situation in that your orgination ball on your orgination scroll is much bigger than the end ball of the same scroll. myabe it's not 100% wrong, but I sure don't like it. The scroll foramtion around the ship could be improved to give it a better cartouche if you will, but we will talk about that at the engrave-In I am leaving for Birmingham shortly

monk

Staff member
a carpenter. so that's why you're "stuck on tools". if i could afford your price, i have a nice old framing square given to me by my grandfather, hmmmmmm.