practice tray and bottle

S.Hartzell

Hello! I am posting a practice tray and bottle that I engraved and would like to hear your opinoins, critiques on what was done. The bottle was done freehand with a high speed grs tool; the tray is aprox. 4x3 inches - and yes the pattern is from the Art of Engraving book.

Attachments

• DSCF0238.JPG
    DSCF0238.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 199
  • DSCF0218.JPG
    DSCF0218.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 181
  • DSCF0224.JPG
    DSCF0224.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 161
  • DSCF0227.JPG
    DSCF0227.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 142
  • DSCF0229.JPG
    DSCF0229.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 160

mikekoller

There seems to be a few uncut scrolls left and well as some of the background... This is all I can offer, for I have yet to pick up and engraver myself

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
rotary on glass can be quite a trick to execute with any level of grace. i think i see chipping which i'm guessing is caused by a fluted bur which is not the best thing for glass. diamond burs are much better. use them wet, they cut better and last longer. the dust is also not to be breathed ! your tray is quite a job to take. its' appearance overall, looks good to me. as with anything, when you go in close, well i'm far from perfect. quite a busy pattern there to undertake.

beegee

Elite Cafe Member
A very ambitious practice project, no doubt. You are to be commended for your perseverance.
What I see:
the flow of the scrolls needs to be more delicate and consistent-too many doglegs and elbows. Spirals are slightly irregular.
Line thickness needs to be more uniform and graduated from thin to thick from origin to terminal
Bevels need more consistency.

I have the same problems in my engraving. I need to spend a lot more time drawing and cutting.

Latest posts

Sponsors