practice

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
gunsmith, I was always tought to not touch the interior of a backbone with adournments, just a thought Rob

allan621

To make shading easier either get a hold of Sam Alfano's shading DVD or start copying with pencil and paper what you see of fine shading. As Monk always said, drawing is a big part of learning to engrave.

To me the point of shading is using fine lines to establish the physical contour of the leaves. By looking hard at the great shading examples it will give you more of an idea of the different line structures that establish the contours. By replicating them with pencil and paper ( make the drawing pretty large, one leaf at a time to start with ) your will be able to visualize the correct shading for each leaf.

Takes time but hang in there.

Allan

Last edited:

Gunsmith

To make shading easier either get a hold of Sam Alfano's shading DVD or start copying with pencil and paper what you see of fine shading. As Monk always said, drawing is a big part of learning to engrave.

To me the point of shading is using fine lines to establish the physical contour of the leaves. By looking hard at the great shading examples it will give you more of an idea of the different line structures that establish the contours. By replicating them with pencil and paper ( make the drawing pretty large, one leaf at a time to start with ) your will be able to visualize the correct shading for each leaf.

Takes time but hang in there.

Allan
Thanks Allan
Great advice much appreciated.
Regards Andrew

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
I think it might be easier to see if you do background treatment before shading. Start with the simplest leaves you can draw and like what was said, follow the contours. Shading is somewhat intuitive. Another suggesting, darken your engraving. You can use something like black shoe wax for practice.

Gunsmith

Thank you for your input will have another go tomorrow it’s 8.30 pm here in the uk so relax time .
Regards Andrew

ByrnBucks

Another practice plate
Good evening Gunsmith, I still don’t know nothin about nothin but Sam‘s shading video gives one a very comprehensive view on what lines go where and why. I’m a poor study but after following along step by step on the same design provided, things really started making sense. No doubt even with the advantage of being able to stare at excellent engravings it definitely shaved years off understanding and deciphering such wonderful art some are capable of producing. BB 538DFD20-AE70-449A-AA3C-74E5AEA11DF0.jpeg

Gunsmith

Good evening Gunsmith, I still don’t know nothin about nothin but Sam‘s shading video gives one a very comprehensive view on what lines go where and why. I’m a poor study but after following along step by step on the same design provided, things really started making sense. No doubt even with the advantage of being able to stare at excellent engravings it definitely shaved years off understanding and deciphering such wonderful art some are capable of producing. BB View attachment 51035
Hi BB
That is fantastic I got Sams dvd on shading
Had a go but not happy with my results so having another go thanks for the advice much appreciated.
Regards Andrew

Attachments

• E59E2CAD-CACD-460B-99CE-D060CF8BDB9C.jpeg
    E59E2CAD-CACD-460B-99CE-D060CF8BDB9C.jpeg
    171.1 KB · Views: 114

Gunsmith

For me, this is a complete training class
I see perfect back bones and spectacular elements and of course that mirror design is really lovely
It's fantastic
Thank you for that great comment I’m just learning to get my head round it ,this is Sams
Practice plate on shading ,I got the DVD download I can’t recommend it enough, just need to keep practicing

Sponsors