Pulling Prints

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you James for your post, it brought up fawn memories of my apprenticeship at the engraved stationery house back in 1958. One of my duties was to pull proofs of plates and dies for the customers approval.

We used a hand operated plate press for this, mixing the proof ink with the proper amount easy wipe. I would roll it onto the plate, take some folded news paper and wipe off the surface ink using the edge of my hand to apply just the right amount of pressure. To much and I'd remove ink from the lettering and lines.

Laying a dampened piece of soft card stock on the plate I would turn the spoked handle of the press causing the bed, plate and stock to be squeezed under the felt covered 'd' shaped arbor.

Jim Sackett

James_Ehlers

Yeah, that's pretty much how I do it...I learned from one the best out there on how to print intaglio plates. His method is quick and effective. He does multiple plates on his work to get colors. Here's his website...

http://hilltop.bradley.edu/~ojg/works.html

Some of these are drawings and some are prints with multiple printmaking techniques. All of the linear stuff is most likely engraved. He works very loosely with the burin.

Latest posts

Sponsors