Question about polishing a graver

aaronhlin

Hello everyone,

When polishing a graver, do I just rub the diamond paste around my diamond disc (opposite side) and start grinding on low power? Also, if I want to polish my graver using .5 micron (50,000 grit), do I need to start with small grits and make my way up?

Last edited:

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
Go to grs.com and look at the resources. The GRS University videos, which they have placed on YouTube, cover how to use all kinds of discs and how to recharge using diamond paste. If you are trying to use one side of a disc for a different grit than the other, you will run into issues of transferring grits when you turn the disc over. Consider dedicating a disc to each grit size, if you are making your own.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
start off with the grit that will eliminate the worst scratch and then go from there

Goldjockey

Elite Cafe Member
Sam suggested a cast iron lap with diamond powder. I bought one. Works like a charm.

Goldjockey

Elite Cafe Member
Do you add anything to the diamond powder? Or, do you simply place the powder to the lap and polish your graver against the loose powder?

I use the method Sam suggested. Just sprinkle a little diamond dust on the wheel, turn on the machine, spread the diamond medium around on the wheel with your finger, and start polishing heels, and faces. Works like a charm for me. I like to hone heels and faces with a ceramic wheel first, and finally on a cast iron lap charged with diamond powder to mirror finish.

Dave_P

A buffing wheel and abrasive (green) bar brings my chisels up to a mirror finish.

Sponsors