Question on air compressor?

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
I have just purchased a new GraverMaxSC I need to get an air compressor for it. Am going the Walmart route for now. I know very little about compressors. What size do I need? what can I do about the noise? How often does it turn on and off? I did purchase there oil filter kit. And also the Monarc hand piece and a larger one that even works on wood.

Your answers and comments appreciated.

Jim Sackett

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Jim,

Congrats buddy!!

I would run an oil-less compressor. That's what GRS recommended to me when I got my Max. Lowes or Home Depot have decent ones. The Campbell-Hausfeld at Home Depot are better....I think. I keep the compressor in the closet in an adjacent room and run the line through the wall. I would use the oil filter whether you get the oil-less or not ... it has higher filtration. Much better than the 5 micron filter on the regulator.

Chris

p.s. My Campbell Hausfeld compressor is 11 years old and still going strong. I've been engraving with it for 3. I'll probably upgrade to the larger 13 or 20 gallon ... whichever fits in the closet.

Last edited:

carl bleile

Elite Cafe Member
Jim,
If you look up compressors on the manufactures and dealers sites they will list the noise level.
On my set up I added an extra tank the portable kind they sell at auto or Sears stores(large size) that way the compressor doesn't kick on as often or once filled turn it off for 2 to 8 hours depending on the tool.
When I looked for a new one I found that some of those that were listed as quite made more noise than the regular ones, I checked the net and found the real noise levels.
I agree it's best to put the compressor away from your work area and run line whether it's flexable bought at same place you get the compressor or your own set up with hard pipe ( much harder to do )
Don't forget to get a moisture and oil trap.
Carl Bleile
Cincinnati,Ohio

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jim
Only thing is to keep the compresor in a conditioned area ie heated, frozen controls equal BOOM:eek: Dave

pappy

Elite Cafe Member
I use a small Porter Cable oilless pancake type compressor. For noise, I put the compressor in an old refridgerator i had and I stacked rolls of insulaton by the open door.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jim,

Whichever route you choose, remember to give the compressor adequate ventilation. They can build up quite a bit of heat depending on how much they run. In the event of a malfunction you want it in a place where the heat would not be able to dissipate fast enough.(you definitely don't want to create a fire hazard!! to understand my concern, check out my avatar ).

Good luck & your work is coming along great too by the way!

Weldon

Latest posts

Sponsors