Question on Face Angle

alfrisillo

One of the things about tool geometry that I don't quite understand is the face angle. Lets say we keep the heel fixed at 15 degrees. What do we gain/lose if we use a 45, 50 or 55 degree face angle? I know the larger is stronger so why not use a 55?

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i use a 55 degree face. It is stronger and I am usually engraving firearms and steel.....If you get too steep of a face angle it can become hard to actually se the face as you engrave so as in most other things.there is always a trade off. For softer metals, inlays etc.I use a 45 face angle. I don't need the strength at that point.
Marty

alfrisillo

Thanks Marty,
You answered part of my question but I think another part of what I am asking lies in another question to you which is: "Since you are using a 55 degree angle for harder metals, why bother switching to a 45 degree for softer metals since you are able to see OK with the 55?

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Half the time I forget to switch......But you can see the tip better with a 45.also how you grind off the excess non cutting material from your tip makes a difference also. I find my gravers that I use under a microscope are smaller than my optivisor version. Helps lead the eye towards the cutting tip.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I put that monogram (crappy) on there starting with a M-42 cobalt blank ground with a 45 face, then a 50, then a 55 after breaking it off in that hard stainless. (Heat treated 410)

I finally grabbed a carbalt blank and ground it up in the usual Lindsay fashion but with a 55 degree face and was able to finish the job. Once I got the monogram cleaned up from the goofed lines caused by the broken tips I quit while I was ahead. I'd have liked to have flared the main stems more to be more graceful but didn't want to mess it up any more than I was able to salvage already.

Lesson: Start with a steep face on hard materials with the hardest graver you have and go from there. If I'd have started with this graver rather than ending with it I might have avoided all the drama this job produced. It was my first paying job too.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
being graceful on stainless steel is like kissin yer girlfriend with a load of chew in yer jaw ! yuck

Latest posts

Sponsors