Question

Dutchmills

Hello all. I am using a high speed graver. 45-90-15 angles with a traditional heel about .007 long more or less. My question is when I lean my graver to one side I am burying one side of the heel, should I be using a parallel heel, a flat graver, or should I not worry about it? Thanks in advance for any comments. Dave

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
to worry or not ? what happens to the cut when you "bury one side of the heel"? what sort of cut are you trying to make? staight or curved ? it's hard to say wich graver to use. it all depends on what you're trying to do to determine the best graver and geometry to use. get a couple practice plates and see what happens . try all the gravers to see which produces the effect you're lookin for. i say all this assuming you don't have
a lot of bench time.

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
longer heel length is like riding a surf board...................very useful as Jerry denoted

Dutchmills

longer heel length is like riding a surf board...................very useful as Jerry denoted
I have been cutting scrolls, leaves, and a couple different boarders and have been mostly cutting simple lines but have started rolling my graver for a better effect. I studied some of my cuts and the lighter cuts that dont go deeper than the heel are brighter and look better so I will start by trying some longer heels for deeper cuts thanks. Dave

monk

Staff member
for rolling, my fave is a flat without a heel.on larger plates, a heel is needed,at least in my hand.

Dutchmills

for rolling, my fave is a flat without a heel.on larger plates, a heel is needed,at least in my hand.
I guess I was under the false assumption that a short heel would work for most jobs thanks to all for the advice. I will try longer heels and no heels on my flats sometimes. I will go to the bench and make it happen

papart1

Dave.........can I ask what graver geometry you are using? Sharpening on it too

Dutchmills

Dave.........can I ask what graver geometry you are using? Sharpening on it too
I am using cobalt high speed with a 45degree face a 90 degree belly and a 15 degree traditional heel 600 and1200 grit diamond stones and finish on ruby stones. Heel is very short but I am trying longer heels now

papart1

Same as what I started with. I SOON switched to .125 carbides from centennial. The 1/8 are hard to fixture to sharpen, sharp to handle and generally unpleasing. The ones I USE ARE ROUND THAT fit any/all standard .133 holes in almost everything. They are inexpensive and good carbide. (ultra fine grain).

Dutchmills

Same as what I started with. I SOON switched to .125 carbides from centennial. The 1/8 are hard to fixture to sharpen, sharp to handle and generally unpleasing. The ones I USE ARE ROUND THAT fit any/all standard .133 holes in almost everything. They are inexpensive and good carbide. (ultra fine grain).
Thanks for the tip, I can see myself switching to a graver with less mass prepping the 1/8 inch gravers is tedious, and carbide would be nice.

Latest posts

Sponsors