Rabbits

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
How does one get the look of bright white like a cottontail or whitetail deer tail with out it looking flat?
Thanks,Leland

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Leland,When engraving the tail on whitetail deer or cottontail the outline of the tail is ware you want to place the engraved lines,hope this is of help to you.A good book on How to Drawing Animals by Jack Hamm I recommend for students. J.J.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks JJ you told me about the Hamm book years ago and I use it. I have the rabbits engraved but the tail looks flat and I didn't want to add lines that takes away from brightness. Probably doesn't matter after bluing it won't look white anyway.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Leland we are talking values here and contrast. To make something dark you use a combination of number of lines/dots and depth of said lines. In contrast if you want something to look lighter or whiter you would use less. Also visually it also depends on what it is next to in order to make it seem lighter or darker. In simple terms, use less lines than the area that surrounds it thereby making it seem lighter or whiter.
Hope this makes some sense.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
another way to look at this is with this question. Is grey a light or dark color? depends on what it is next to. If against black it seems light. Against White it seems dark It's all an illusion

dcurrie911

Elite Cafe Member
I agree with Marty. The illusion of white on steel is a mater of contrast. I do believe however that a burnisher can make the metal appear lighter and even whiter. I blew up the previous photo for illustration. Look at the “white” lines in the belly. Those are burnished marks. The cape/neck is also made to appear whiter with a heavier use of the burnisher.

Dan

Attachments

• 12AB3DDF-F825-4E0A-9ED7-0F40A6B5704D.jpeg
    12AB3DDF-F825-4E0A-9ED7-0F40A6B5704D.jpeg
    313.8 KB · Views: 60

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
JJ Marty and Dan thank you for the tips. I used the burnishing technique that Dan suggested I thought it would be easier to correct if I screwed up. Dan your 94 is very nice. JJ are you talking about agate stones for burnishing?
Thanks,Leland

Brant

Elite Cafe Member
RioGrande.com then search for Agate Burnisher.
I use the “knife” profile, and our diamond discs make shaping to suit my needs.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marty said"Also visually it also depends on what it is next to in order to make it seem lighter or darker. ".
For a perfect example of this , look at Sam's self portrait engraving on one of his posts. Note how the background is very dark compared to his face. This makes his face and shirt seem much lighted or whiter.