Ranger Buckle

Hello all, it been awhile since I have been here. I wanted to post a picture of a buckle I just finished up and get some input. Any ideas, or suggestions please let me know. Best regards.
Mike Pardue

Attachments

• MLP buckle.JPG
    MLP buckle.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 211
  • MLP buckle 1.JPG
    MLP buckle 1.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 141
  • buckin buckle.JPG
    buckin buckle.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 180
  • buckin buckle 2.JPG
    buckin buckle 2.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 152

cowboy_silversmith

Elite Cafe Member
Mike~ Nice designs. I am sure you made someone a proud owner of these pieces. I have never used nor am I experienced in using steel to fabricate buckles. Do you use nickel, sterling silver or both to overlay and engrave? In these pictures, your soldering appears to be clean. I have read some previous posts regarding soldering applications. Which method do you employ, silver soldering or soft soldering? I am also curious as to the tongue and why you attach it upside down. Thanks for posting.

Best regards,
Greg Pauline

bitmaker

I like your stuff. Being from California, I haven't built much Texas style stuff, but I have been wanting to try making some buckles like you have here. Very well done, and a good inspiration.
Jim

webad2006

Mike,

Great work as usual. I was inspired to build a brown buckle for my wife Amber, based on one of your previously posted designs.

I used a metal base of my own design, overlayed with Silver, then overlayed with Bronze. Did'nt come out half bad, if I say so myself. I'll try to get a pic worth posting, and let you be the judge!

Keep up the the good work/post.

bitmaker

How do you get that color on the steel? I use a hot blue tank, and get more of a black color. One time when it was pretty boiled down I got that brown color, but I have never been able to repeat it.
Jim

Thanks for the comments . I do appreciate that.
Greg, these buckles are overlaid with German silver. I would say 95% of the buckles I make are made with it. I have and do use sterling, but cant seem to get anymore more for them, so I use the nickle. The overlays on these buckles are soft soldered on. I use silver solder a lot, and use to use it on everything. I saw some items being built by folks I consider to be very knowledgeable, and they were using soft solder on steel. As a result I have started using that when I make steel buckles. I enjoyed your tutorial on the buckle set, very well done. Thats the way I have been making buckles as well. The debate over the buckle tounge. I have heard and seen them put on both ways, as a result I dont know if one is more correct than the other. I put mine on this way for no real reason other Then thats just the way I learned and I seem to like the way it lays.These steel buckles are very popular here in texas. I have made lots of silver ones, but most folks seem to want these, so thats what I make the most of. I do appreciate your comments, and I really enjoy your sharing your knowledge with the rest of us.
I got the color on these just using cold blue. I use oxpho blue from Brownells. I have used some brown solutions, but I seem to get varied results, some good, some not so good.
Dwayne, hey bud, I have an engraving project for you. I will be hollering at ya about it, its a real cool deal.
Yall take care, I look forward to hearing from you, holler when you can.

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike, I just went to midnights at work, I'll holler at you. Been wanting to get over that way. Dwayne

Sponsors