:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Try this one

Attachments

• 2018-12-04 11.57.48.jpg
    2018-12-04 11.57.48.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 106

Bismuth

Spacing of the leaves is better in this one!
But, the first leaf on the left scroll is too close compared to others. Again finials are out of proportion and not completed. You need to get the finial areas correct and uniform in order to progress.

You might try printing a pic of a very simple scroll and it's mirror and placing a tracing (or bleached baking) paper on it. Trace the simplest scroll again and again and again. Try this. Then draw a new version of your scroll and post it here.

I know you can do this! Keep up the good work.

Bismuth

papart1

Mr. Bismuth......perhaps one of yours will be a good copy for me to try tracing please? and what is meant by the finials not being completed? pap

dcurrie911

Elite Cafe Member
I agree your design is much improved, good progress. To illustrate how your own design could look with a couple of small changes I copied your backbone scroll and then pasted it proportionately near where your leaves already were. You are on the right track.
. E58BC8D1-A52A-427E-A4FF-490BC76A3280.jpeg A47E37F0-A5BC-4B33-9AF7-222E03DAC7A9.jpeg

papart1

Thank you sir, there is alot of similarities between yours and mine, I just have to practice,practice,practice...........I draw every day to try to up and not forget what I done, I exercise the elements individually, and now I'm drawing my own scrolls too soooo, we push on. pap

dcurrie911

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Pap. Correct, I made no attempt to change your design. Just wanted illustrate what it could look like with improved symmetry, proportions, and placement.

Dan

papart1

thanks for the tap..........thats a good way to super impose the image on the other one.....

Bismuth

Here is clip from my sketchbook. It shows my first steps in ornamental drawing. Between the scroll drawn in pencil and the ones in black liner are 4-5 months of practiceˋ.I hope it also shows that drawing is not an inherent skill but can be acquired by constant practise. Learning to observe and analyze as you go...
4322DAAF-2C42-44AB-BF02-8D7FF33ADCBA.jpeg

papart1

Very nice, the progression from start to 5 months is pretty dramatic. It's kinda a mix of basic and intermediate. The 3 are a of beginners, intermediate, and advanced are all defined through Sam and his direction. Other sources of instruction probably vary.I do a lot of erasing........a lot. pap

Eric Olson

Elite Cafe Member
Try darkening your background areas as if you had done "background removal" in your finished engraving. This will help you envision that your "negative areas" are evenly spaced and in proportion to your leaves and tendrils.

papart1

Thanks I did that on a previous post I think, that process is time consuming beyond the so called normal time due to massive amounts of erasing and leaf/knob repairs, but yeah I'm going to do it when I think I'm ready to post again. I can't say enough about the help I'm getting here at the cafe,,,,,,,,,,,,,it's fanominal, thanks, pap

papart1

oh by the by........I think my cutting is better now too..........I polish the top of my gravers so I know when their not level with the base metal and I can see the tilt better too. papart1