Recently Published

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It's a project from last fall, but it was just published in the May/June issue of the American Handgunner Magazine.(pgs.72 & 73)

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
What method did you use to anneal the frame? Someone told me to put the frame in the oven at 450 degrees for about 4 hours. Is this practable and effective?

dclevinger

Elite Cafe Member
Great piece Brian. I really like your background treatment. It looks to me like a domed punch, almost the reverse of a standard punch dot. Awesome job. David

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Crazy Horse..........Didn't need to anneal the frame on this gun.
However, whenever I need to anneal something, I usually just put it on the center rack of my wife's oven around 9:00 p.m. and hit the self-cleaning cycle. The oven gets about 800-850 degrees for 3 hours and then I just let it cool down all night long. By then, the parts are at room temperature and ready to scratch.

dclevinger.........the background treatment is really just a Hi-Speed rotary handpiece using a teeny, tiny ball burr. I make little round "dots" with it in the background areas. It not only removes background, but if you're systematic with it, you can make a pattern out of the dots.

Brian

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nicely done. The gold inlay really accents the hammer and end of the barrel well. Nice grips too.

Peter

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian,

I was in Alex Hamilton's shop recently & saw a really nice picture (spread from the mag) of your engraving on this piece. I thought it looked great & of course Alex was delighted (as always) with your work. Keep it up!
Planning to do the Grand Masters again?

Weldon

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the Kudos!
Weldon----As far as Grand Masters is concerned, I have mixed emotions.
IMHO,The benefits to the program outweigh the costs, but they are still costs that have to be paid for.
My family has taken a back seat the last several years because of my excursions to FEGA,Shot Show, NRA Conventions and Grand Masters.

I'm feeling a little guilty these days, if you know what I mean.
Brian

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian,

Totally understand what you mean. For me, since I don't do many shows, I think I'll at least apply for one of the classes this year but we'll see. I have a herniated disc in my neck and it sure is slowing things down at the moment. Hope you are well!

Weldon

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sorry about the neck problems.....can't be pleasant at the work bench or at the fire house.

On the Grand Masters-----I just might apply for one, but it'll be a last minute thing.

Right now, I am engraving a Skeet Grade Winchester Model 12......an attempt at the old factory patterns.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice Brian. I have a Beretta I'm doing and wasn't going to touch the case coloring, but I may dip my graver into it now.
Good looking gun and congrats
Mike

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike, For what it's worth:
The color case hardening was done after the frame and hammer were engraved and gold inlaid.
(Credit Doug Turnbull Restorations)

Don't forget the difference between case colored hardening and case colored.

Your Beretta parts may have to be annealed first if they are case color hardened.
You'll know as soon as you start to cut into it.

Brian