Recommended fonts?

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What fonts are people using for computer based layouts?
Is there a font out there that matches say, the standard Engraver's Script?

While I will be learning to draw / cut it 'freehand' it'd be nice to be able to include the lettering on a layout.

ED DELORGE

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Steve, I am glad you asked that question, sorry I don't have the answer but I have similar font questions and maybe I can get my questions answerd at the same time. I recently purchased some wedding fonts from office depot. There were a few Script fonts that I liked but could not figure out how to add them to my corel draw fonts or my microsoft word fonts. Can any one tell me how to do that?

Ed DeLorge

Andrew Biggs

Hi Ed

First you have to install the fonts if they are TTF (True Type Fonts)

1. Open your control panel

2. Click on fonts

3. Menu at the top.................File > install fonts

4. Go to where your script fonts are kept..............highlight them............click OK

and it should all be done..............cross fingers, touch wood :)

A beautiful script font is "Edwardian Script" which should be on most computers.

The old faithful "Commercial Script" is a timeless one as well.

A really nice serif font is the "Engravers MT" series which normally comes in bold and roman as well

A really good sans serif font (block letters) is the "Avant Garde" series

Try and avoid modern scripts like "Murray Hill Bold" as they date very, very quickly.

Cheers
Andrew

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
I like to use Bickham Script Pro, which is really nice. Actually it was Sam's suggestion and we even learned script lettering in basic class using this font. If you use Photoshop or Illustrator (maybe other programs can do this too, I haven't tried) you get access to special 'illustrated' letters too.

Here's little example of my first try on script lettering using Bickham.

Ed, as of installing fonts in Windows. Actually all you have to to is copy your font file (TrueType or Open) to Fonts directory - usually C:\WINDOWS\Fonts. If you copy fonts to that dir Windows automatically installs them and you can use them in any program.

Yves Halliburton

Elite Cafe Member
I concur with Vilts. The Bickham Script Pro is an excellent font. It has many glifs to use so you can expand the design. I to took this from Sam as well from the advanced class. You can purchase it through Adobe.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey guys!

In addition to what has already been mentioned there are some excellent books available (through GRS, I believe) by J.M. Bergling. These books deal with all kinds of lettering styles & though they are not on the computer (some may be, not sure) they are an excellent resource showing not only font styles but also various & attractive layouts using a variety of styles together. Using the computer for design transfer is pretty slick and takes a lot of the work out of layout however, I would encourage you to develop your own drawing and layout skills alongside the computer transfer method as it will help make you a better designer/engraver/artist!

Keep chipping,

Weldon

Latest posts

Sponsors