Question: Recommended resources for ornamental wood carving?

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
Go online and look at the books section of Woodcraft.com and PackardWoodworks.com. You will find books on all kinds of wood carving, including carving gunstocks.

pkroyer

I have made my own chisels and gouges, but I find that modified commercial chisels and gouges work well and are easier. Woodcraft Supply as mentioned above, sells Swiss Made - Pfeil palm chisels that are high quality and work well. You may want to make flat chisels and shallow gouges, and purchase v-tools and deep gouges.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Matthew, YouTube is full of bas relief carving tutorials. I teach carving classes for our local arts council, not because I'm good at it just knew more than anyone else in the group. There are several muzzleloader builders videos that cover rococo carving. Think C and S scrolls in wood. Carving is not that different than sculpted engraving just the background is much easier to remove. Like engraving the pencil is the key.
good luck
Leland

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Basswood is what we start people with in class it carves easy and will hold detail and is inexpensive. The fact you want to work with English walnut it cuts very nice. I would start there but find a stock maker and try to get some scraps for practice. I went to Lee Griffiths site I will bet he didn't do that the first time. Mind blowing work as we expect from him. I got into engraving by building flintlock longrifles to do them right you need to be able to finish metal and wood and engrave and carve all the disciplines needed for what you want to accomplish. The component nature of muzzleloaders means if you screw something up beyond repair it can be replaced and try again. There is a market for well done longrifles but like anything it takes time to develop your skills 25 years in my case.

PS_Bond

Elite Cafe Member
Somewhere around I have a copy of Checkering & Carving Gunstocks by Monty Kennedy. Been a while since I read it and I was more interested in the checkering than the carving at that point.

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
I would start with this Gentleman's website. Discover Evgeni Dimov, artisan Metal engraver in Sopot - Homo Faber Guide
Then I would search this forum and see more of his art work.

Next the chisels, look for a company called Ramelson. First I only have a couple, they have been good, so I cannot say all are that quality. Dockyard is another miniature, micro chisel set that I use. They are good ones. These probably are not the "best" just good quality at reasonable prices.

There are a lot of tutorials online about making woodcarving chisels. Some are GREAT, some you waste your time on

If you can't sharpen, it won't matter what chisels you use. Best place is Woodcarving Illustrated's forum Forum - Woodcarving Illustrated
Might as well add this one to get you "hooked" on this adventure.
Shop Made Chisels (flintriflesmith.com)

A lot of info on this forum. Search function is decent. AmericanLongRifles Forums - Index Do a lot of reading, you will see some real artistic work. This group is looking for historical correct styles, so it might not be your cup of coffee, but the carving rules apply regardless of style.

This should keep you busy for a little while.

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
This is black walnut that is a bit porous and English walnut will cut easier. This black walnut needs a few more coats of finish to fill the pores but is getting there. Flowing the scroll from the metal to the wood was fun! Tools from Micro Mark.

View attachment 49310
AND MicroMark even has model train stuff! What's not to like?

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Allen, I always look longingly at the model trains...knowing I have not the time nor space for another hobby/distraction.

Another carving tool supply source is Brookstone tools. I have some of their tools and find they work well.

Sponsors