Recycling 24k gold scrap?

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
For decades I’ve used Rio Grande, but it appears they no longer offer this service to “standard” customers. Any suggestions? Anybody want to buy 6.6 grams, 10.25DWTs, of clean 24k directly from me? Or did i do that backwards? 1.555 grams per DWT? So 6.6grams = 4.24DWT?

Last edited:

medaniel

For decades I’ve used Rio Grande, but it appears they no longer offer this service to “standard” customers. Any suggestions? Anybody want to buy 6.6 grams, 10.25DWTs, of clean 24k directly from me? Or did i do that backwards? 1.555 grams per DWT? So 6.6grams = 4.24DWT?
Why not just remelt, reform into wire and reuse it? As a goldsmith, it's a common practice.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As it turns out I’m still listed as a “wholesale account”, which was a bit of a surprise since I haven’t exactly been a huge customer over the last 40yrs, but I’m not gonna argue with them.

As for recycling it myself, I don’t even think there’s a crucible around here anymore, I know I don’t have any gas for my torch, sold my rolling mill at least 10 yrs ago, etc. For as little as I’d ever use all that stuff it’s easier to just let someone else deal with it. I might ask a couple local jewelers if they’re interested before mailing it to NM.
With gold as high as it is, my little pile is about $360 @spot price. Anybody want to make an offer?

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Update: I did sell it to a local jeweler who I occasionally do some work for. He was happy to buy and at a slightly better percentage of spot price than I would have gotten from Rio with no postage. Win win.