Removing Barrels from the New Generation Colt Pythons?

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
I have been researching issues about removing barrels from the new production Colt Pythons for engraving. I have always pulled Python barrels, it makes the engraving job so much easier! I had read somewhere that there was a technical issue about removing barrels from the new generation Pythons. To confirm, I first called John Powers (Powers Metal Works).

John called the Colt Custom Shop - one of their engravers told him that they engraved Colt Pythons with the barrels on.

I then called Emily Cusson (Nutmeg Sports LLC). Nutmeg has had a working relationship with Colt for many years, so Emily also questioned Colt about the subject. Here is Emily's reply to me.

"I did some research on the Python bbl situation. It’s definitely not recommended to remove the bbl once the new Pythons have been assembled. It is considered a permanent assembly. According to Colt, the custom shop is engraving the pythons with the barrels installed. What they have found is that the threads will be destroyed if you try to remove the barrel."

So, for whatever reason - mayber Colt installs the new Pythons mechanically with such pressure that the threads become frozen, they seize or become galled. Perhaps, they use some kind of exotic adhesive to permanently fix the barrels to the frames?

It's unfortunate that this is the case. So, plan to engrave the new gen Pythons with the barrels on. I would challenge any engraver to cut a Python with the barrel on, old or new, at the Exhibition level like this one I finished in 2016. I'm not going to say it would be absolutley impossible, but I wouldn't try it!!

Python_Exb_01.JPG Python_Exb_02.JPG

Last edited:

Mike576

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Thanks for the information! I wonder why they made the change?

Send me a colt python and ill give that exhibition quality engraving challenge a try!

monk

Staff member
sad to say. somebody with a magical hi tech laser or thimajig will perhaps find a a way to embellish without entertaining skilled hands to do this new type barrier for artists. remember the pantograph? a huge number of very skilled people lost their jobs. the will to do the amazing with ones' hands will never die. the hi tekkies wont go away, they will just make life more difficult for those dedicated to the use of the hand. jm2cw

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
chances are ....could be latharge and glyserin, this thread locking combination has been around for many decades and was first introduced in the steam piping industry.

monk

Staff member
I don't think they will come up with a laser that will make the clean cut like a high polished graver in the hands of a skilled person. Look at the new Berettas and others with laser engraving. They are very fuzzy designs.
one of our forum members sent me a "cnc" sample engravfing done on a piece of silver. i must say that with a bit of software tweaking, the work was very close to hand as you could get. doing a complicated 3-d piece, such as a gun, would be a problem of proper layout rather than the execution of the cut. multi axis cnc is here to stay. such has already entered the hand engravers world. i believe it's just a matter of time before it comes 'mainstream. jmho

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
I have been researching issues about removing barrels from the new production Colt Pythons for engraving. I have always pulled Python barrels, it makes the engraving job so much easier! I had read somewhere that there was a technical issue about removing barrels from the new generation Pythons. To confirm, I first called John Powers (Powers Metal Works).

John called the Colt Custom Shop - one of their engravers told him that they engraved Colt Pythons with the barrels on.

I then called Emily Cusson (Nutmeg Sports LLC). Nutmeg has had a working relationship with Colt for many years, so Emily also questioned Colt about the subject. Here is Emily's reply to me.

"I did some research on the Python bbl situation. It’s definitely not recommended to remove the bbl once the new Pythons have been assembled. It is considered a permanent assembly. According to Colt, the custom shop is engraving the pythons with the barrels installed. What they have found is that the threads will be destroyed if you try to remove the barrel."

So, for whatever reason - mayber Colt installs the new Pythons mechanically with such pressure that the threads become frozen, they seize or become galled. Perhaps, they use some kind of exotic adhesive to permanently fix the barrels to the frames?

It's unfortunate that this is the case. So, plan to engrave the new gen Pythons with the barrels on. I would challenge any engraver to cut a Python with the barrel on, old or new, at the Exhibition level like this one I finished in 2016. I'm not going to say it would be absolutley impossible, but I wouldn't try it!!

View attachment 50392 View attachment 50393
Thank you for the information Mike. I just acquired a new Python (stainless) which I was going to engrave. It’s a disappointment that the barrel can not be removed, it sure changes the design thoughts. Maybe a jig can be made to hold and help rotate?… sure adds a lot extra work and gymnastics.

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
None of this was to indicate that the new model Colt Pythons could not be engraved. It's a matter of how you hold them in a vice and how you accommodate a frame with the barrel installed. The Python frame and barrel is a big piece is hardware to be revolving around in an engravers vice! Engravers are inventive, and we have all made various jigs and holding devices to hold those difficult and odd-shaped things we engrave.

I would say there are limits to the level of the art that might be applied to a Colt Python if one is forced to engrave it with the barrel on. It becomes an issue of time and money. I recently completed a 10" Barrel Python. If I had been required to engrave it with the barrel on it would have cost my client considerably more because of the hours involved on both jigging up, and then fighting with 15 3/4" (combined length - barrel and frame) of handgun swinging around in my vice.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors