Announcement: Retirement

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just a quick word to those of you who have met, know or know of my father, Ken Hunt. After 58 years (including a 2 year break for National Service) my Dad has decided he's come to the end of the road regarding his engraving and is retiring. There are some reasons that I'd rather not go into here that have prompted this move but he's decided suddenly that he's had enough! So those of you who took his Grand Masters class, you were the last to study under the man who is acknowledged as being the one who first took contemporary gun engraving to the next level and opened the way for all the fabulous engravers of today. The end of an era.

Last edited:

Paul Chung

Sorry to hear that Marcus but let's just say i'm probably the only one here who can guest at the reason. Let's just say I work at a famous gunmaker and I get to hear all the whispers! Your dad had opened a new level in the engraving world and let people like me follow in his footsteps so a big thank you goes out to him.
I believe he's my great grand gaffer.

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Marcus,
I have never had the pleasure of meeting your father, but I have spent many hours studying pictures of his beautiful work. He is one my biggest heroes in the engraving world. I wish him the best. And how great for him it must be to have you to carry on the tradition.

Stewart

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus,

Please give your father my regards and best wishes upon his retirement.
I will always treasure the (brief) time I got to spend with him! For those who don't know, in addition to truly being a world class artisan, Ken has a marvelous sense of humor and loves a good laugh. His contribution to the engraving world is immeasurable!

Hope all is well,

Weldon

Andrew Biggs

Hi Marcus

I'm very sorry to hear that. It was a real privilege meeting your father a couple of years ago and I have very fond memories of that occasion.

Please send him my very best regards and wishes for his retirement.

Perhaps it's time for him to write his memoirs !!

Cheers
Andrew

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Although I never got the chance to meet your father, I feel as though I know him through your postings and seeing some of his work. Your continuing in his tradition should give him great pleasure and I hope he enjoys his time away from the bench and can pursue other interests without feeling the need to make deadlines.

Mark

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus,

Will you please pass on to your father my very sincere gratitude for the time I was priviledged to spend with you and your father and the wonderful things you both taught me. Whatever measure of success I achieve in the engraving world will have a generous to of "Hunt" as a part of it. My time with your father is one of the highlights of my life and because of distance I may never enjoy his presence again. I do intend to inflict myself on you however with every opportunity and I hope they are many. I wish your father as much joy and success in retirement as he enjoyed in pre-retirement. It is richly deserved.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Marcus,
All I can say about your Father's career is " A job well done".
The short time I spent visiting with your Father, and with you, has had a large impact on my work.
I am grateful to you both.
Please give him my regards.
Barry

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As I never met your father I wish him well in his retirement. I have enjoyed studying pieces I was able to view of his work. I hope retirement gives back to him as much as he has dedicated to the art of engraving.
Best Wishes.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
sorry to hear that news. i've never met him, but feel as though i know him by lookin at many of his fotos. i speak for all in wishing him an enjoyable retirement, and our very best wishes.

Ron Foster

Mr. Hunt:

I'm not personally acquainted with you or your dad, but . . .

Please, inform your dad that his magnificent work has
brightened the ordinary lives of thousands--here and abroad--
throughout the years.

Photos of his work has inspired "art lovers," "firearm collectors," and
"plain-ole hunters."

May his retirement be as extraordinarily enjoyable, as the viewing of
his life's work has been to all "outdoor lovers of the hunt."

Tell him: Thanks, for the memories--from admirers he'll never meet.

Best of luck,

Ron Foster

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus, please say hello to your father for me and wish him the best in his retirement. Studying with him and you at the GM was indeed a high light in my life as well. Best of luck! :)

Alain Lovenberg

Elite Cafe Member
Bad news for the fine guns lovers and collectors! a surprise also because it seemed that Ken Hunt, The Engraver, had been and would be always there. Marcus, I wish with your father a long and happy retirement.
Alain

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks everybody for your kind words. I shall print these expressions of your kindness and send them to him. I also hope to get hold of some of his photos and scan them so I can publish them for you and all the other Cafe members to see.

It's a very strange thing. I always expected him to carry on engraving and 'die at the bench' so to speak. In my view, in recent years he has reached his zenith and has produced some of his best work ever. His coloured gold work has inspired a whole new sphere of engraving and engravers. But have no fear, his creative endeavours are far from over. He's decided to spend more time painting which is his other love. After a lifetime working in monochrome I know he's looking forward to playing with colour some more.

Last edited:

pierre

Elite Cafe Member
dear Marcus,
First time i hear your father, it was by Mr Delcour my teacher, he comes at school with some pics of your father work and it seems so modern and realistic .
With his work, i learn a lot and sometimes i look at it and ask myself if Mr Hunt do that ,how will he do?
in the engraving world, you go step by step and sometimes you find in other the way , your father was one of them.
Thanks a lot Mr Hunt and have a good retirement:thumbs up:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus, I never met your father and don't know about him. I now know his name "Ken Hunt" so I perhaps can find some pictures of his work.

all the best, arnaud

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus,
Wish you father well for me! I found him to be an amazing man and enjoyed his stories!
Rex