Review of Marcus Hunt's new English Fine Scroll Tutorial Sets.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here is the link to my full review. Just click on the PDF file to read the review.

Edit: OK, so here are photos of my first attempts at English Fine Scroll and Bouquet. Yes, I know that I screwed up by making the scrolls WAY too large but after all, it was my first attempt. At least you can see that the book and DVDs gave me something to work with.

Attachments

• Marcus Hunt Review.pdf
    122.7 KB · Views: 207
  • 20101121_1201.jpg
    20101121_1201.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 375
  • 20101121_1204.jpg
    20101121_1204.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Doc, you sly old fox! Never a word from you about this at Ken's! It's good to know someone with integrity when it comes to professional courtesy and I really appreciate it, especially with someone I consider a friend and colleague in the art. Thank you for the review, even though I figured it would be a major accomplishment from Marcus, and your insight just proves my intuitions were right.

By the way, I couldn't open the pictures.

Bill

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bill, thanks for the compliment! At your suggestion, I've added some photos. You only need Adobe Acrobat to view the file.

Last edited:

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Just to back up Doc's review I must say that Marcus and team have put together an EXCELLENT pack easy to follow step by step having watched the dvd's and read the book this is a must have in anyones collection I have other that although good dont match the standard of this, A lot of time and effort has been put into producing this not just for the beginner but also pro engraver can learn from it the dvd with the close-ups allow you to see how every cut is made a true learning tool worth every pound or doller .
I know I have said it before but Thanks Marcus truely EXCELLENT :bow:
Ray

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i'd like to take a moment to add my 2¢... "Fine scroll", or as we tend to call it here in the former colonies, "English scroll", is one of the most versatile styles of scroll there is. when properly designed & deployed, it can work gracefully on virtually anything- from a fine double to a pocket watch, from full coverage to just a hint of decorative accents in the corners. EVERYBODY should have a solid understanding of it for its mechanical aspects, even if you end up never using it much.

furthermore, historically this style has been given short shrift as a crude, over-simple, cheap way to efficiently cover real estate. however, it has the potential to be among the most beautiful in our repertoire, filled with depth & movement, if only you'll take the time to learn its secrets and add some creativity & individuality.
:graver:

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
furthermore, historically this style has been given short shrift as a crude, over-simple, cheap way to efficiently cover real estate. however, it has the potential to be among the most beautiful in our repertoire, filled with depth & movement, if only you'll take the time to learn its secrets and add some creativity & individuality.
:graver:

You are so right in what you say Mitch. The other day my father flagged me up some pictures on Instagram of what Purdey (of all people) are accepting on their guns. To say I was shocked was an understatement :eek:!!! These are some of the most expensive guns in the world and they are accepting pure crap to be put on them. To be honest it's an absolute disgrace and Purdey's should be ashamed of themselves. The wonderful legacy of beautifully engraved guns that was left to them by Harry Kell and my father has all but been destroyed. A couple of the guys in one of my classes at GRS were of a higher standard than some of these "professional" engravers!

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Doc for the pictures. I think you did a masterful job on the scrolls and bouquet and am really looking forward to viewing, studying and cutting some "fine, English scrolls." By the way, I just finished a Colt Commander with about 60% coverage and when I took it to the gunsmith for finishing and reassembly, had two customers there wanting some work done on their guns after seeing the engraving on the Colt. I'll post some pictures when I get it back.

Bill

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would add to Mitch's and Marcus' insightful comments that small English is probably the most recognizable and traditional of all scroll styles. When I first started learning to engrave I found small English to be quite redundant and mine was. As I have learned the subtle nuances and especially after seeing the highest quality-thanks to Marcus and his father-I have completely reversed my thinking. It has a very unique beauty and quality when done well.

I can think of no one better qualified to learn from. Although I have not reviewed his materials I will endorse it based on my time with Marcus and his father. I can't imagine it to be anything but superb.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great review Doc and your kind words Ray.
Hey Marcus is there still any way to get a copy of the DVD or book? Or both? . I've tried the website but it must be offline or something because I can't reach it. Let me know when you get this and Thank you!

Daniel29

I asked the same about a month ago. Took quiet a while until i got an answer. On facebook he wrote then that there might be a new edition at the end of april. But thats not certain.

If so, marcus, please add me to the list. I would take a copy too!!

I asked the same about a month ago. Took quiet a while until i got an answer. On facebook he wrote then that there might be a new edition at the end of april. But thats not certain.

If so, marcus, please add me to the list. I would take a copy too!!
Thanks for the info! I appreciate it. I would def. take a copy myself and will keep my eye out for any info in the future.