Reworking my first "project"

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
Engraved this plate about a month ago. I finished it, but wasn't happy with the outcome(duh).
This is going to be a plate on the top of a footswitch for my wife. Since my laserprinter is in the shop and I didn't have a transfer ready for a practice plate, I decided to try and rework this thing.
Drew the design straight to the plate and started cutting. Got alot of work to do still and I do realise that the design lacks a bit, but this is turning out great practice for a whole bunch of stuff.
Any tips are always appreciated. I find myself having trouble removing the background. Right now I using a rounded graver to get to the linework and removing the bulk. Then flatten it out with a flat graver. 20210215_145924.jpg 20210411_164510.jpg 20210412_164533.jpg

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
Yup...copper. I actually love the old look when it patinas. In this case it doesn't really matter either...my wife will be stomping down on it all day anyways...hahaha.

I will get some and see how it cuts, but while I'm learning, I doubt to really feel a difference. Copper hardens whilst working on it, so that might be why it cuts different?