Rosettes

sdcoxx

Elite Cafe Member
These are my practice plates..
Another $3 Walmart knife and a hobo nickel, the rosettes are the result of Sam Alfano's rosette tutorial.
The tendril and leaf structure is from a drawing exercise in Ron Smith's book, Advanced Drawing of Scrolls.
Both items provided experience in drawing, layout, cutting and shading.
I learned that the rosette's flower pedals need to be more evenly sized, the 2nd layer of pedals are to round and the 24k inlay needs improvment... The shading will improve with experience.... The tendril and leaf structure provided layout, cutting and shading experience, which will improve with more reading and drawing...
The upside down flying ducks are a layout lesson...
Thank you, Sam and Ron...
I wanted to share my practice plates with my fellow Cafe Members.
I welcome any tips or suggestions you may have for me..
:) Stephen

Attachments

• bb76 001_edited-1.jpg
    bb76 001_edited-1.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 216
  • bb80 001_edited-1.jpg
    bb80 001_edited-1.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 220

jmcutting

Very impressive! I think you just made that $3 knife worth a lot more!

-justin

D.DOUGLAS

Elite Cafe Member
Stephen, Looking good! As far as tips i would say just keep doing what you doing now! Laying out and engraving on different shapes. From one project to the next you will see improvement and answer your own questions most of the time. I find myself saying after each project ( I would do this different next time) Thats learning! D.Douglas

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mary,
I f I recall, your question was answered here or perhaps another forum and it was stated that if the blade was open, the engraving/scrim, etc. should be viewed with the sharp edge down.

Peter