"Sample-plate" wip

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
Been working on a "sample-plate" for the last few days, on which I will try to display some different styles and techniques. With my limited experience, this will be a bit of a challenge. For now I managed to scribble in most of the linework and just finished the first "block" of flare cutting. I did one small test scroll with some flare cut, so this is the second try at that particular technique. I can honestly say it is much harder than it looks, hahaha. There are some mistakes and places where things could and should be alot smoother. That's fine though, since I want this to be an honest sample-plate.

I'll keep posting the progression of this plate in this thread, so y'all can follow along.

Marc 20220515_200927.jpg

Nucrona

Been working on a "sample-plate" for the last few days, on which I will try to display some different styles and techniques. With my limited experience, this will be a bit of a challenge. For now I managed to scribble in most of the linework and just finished the first "block" of flare cutting. I did one small test scroll with some flare cut, so this is the second try at that particular technique. I can honestly say it is much harder than it looks, hahaha. There are some mistakes and places where things could and should be alot smoother. That's fine though, since I want this to be an honest sample-plate.

I'll keep posting the progression of this plate in this thread, so y'all can follow along.

Marc View attachment 49821

Looks real good to me. Makes mine look like dung

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
lookin good to my eye. get a copy of sams' flare cutting dvd. it will give you a good heads up on practicing as well as more advanced flare.

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
lookin good to my eye. get a copy of sams' flare cutting dvd. it will give you a good heads up on practicing as well as more advanced flare.
Thanks monk. I actually have that dvd and watched it several times before trying it. The first attempt was on a small piece of brass which cut really weird. Chipped like crazy, no curls. Really strange. Anyways...I mostly skip the practice shapes on the dvd's and go straight to cutting. That way I force myself to try my best not to ruin it. May not be the smartest thing in the world, but you learn quite fast that way. And...with the limited time I have to engrave anything, I actually get to cut something "worthwhile".

Marc

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
Finished block number 3 today. Only 1 to go and then I will be moving on to removing background and shading.

Halfway the large backbone I suffered a broken graver, making it drag a deep trench and then veer off into the "half" I had already cut. Tried to repair it the best I could, but I was not amused, hahaha.

Marc
IMG_20220522_163303_532.jpg

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
Finished up block 4 of the flarecut scrolls and finished shading the finer scrollwork on the side of the plate. Borders are almost completed aswell. All that's left really is fill up the little end"blocks" on the border and then sculpt the opposite side of the shaded scrolls. Soooo...plenty of chances to ruin this thing, hahaha. 20220612_213443.jpg 20220612_213411.jpg

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Some wonderful flair cutting in steel and some outstanding decorative borders and shading.
Love your twisted ribbon border and the shading, you hit it out of the park.

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
Finished my attempt at a sampleplate yesterday. This was quite the experience. First real try at flare cutting, first attempt at sculpting. Then trying to vary the borders. With my limited skillset I tried my best to make something as nice as I could. There is plenty I should have done differently...some might have been better off left out. But alltogether, I am pretty happy with the outcome. Inking this thing is a true nightmare though...so that's another lesson learned, hahaha.

As always, I am open to suggestions and opinions.

Marc 20220627_201806.jpg 20220627_201835.jpg 20220627_201922.jpg 20220627_201859.jpg 20220627_201943.jpg 20220627_202012.jpg

Latest posts

Sponsors