Sand blasted stainless steel

Hi:. I want to engrave a 1911 sand blasted slide. After it's engraved, what do you do with the burr left from the engraving, just leave it? Thanks...gene

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When properly rolling your graver you should be able to pop out most of the burs with each cut. In those cases where there's a bur, a scraper tool will work.

Last edited:

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
I use my thumb nail to remove any slight burrs. JJ is right there shouldn't be any big burrs.

Thanks for the reply's. I think we may be getting crossed up between a chip and a burr. The chip is what you pop out at the end of the cut. The burr is on both sides of the cut. When I finish my engraving I go over it with 2000 grit to remove the slight burrs on the sides of the cut. It would be like crossing a gear, I'm a clockmaker.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When you engrave with a square graver having a parallel heel, there should be no burr. Flat gravers and onglettes will leave a burr on the sides of the cut. Engraving a slide that has a bead blasted finish is the same as cutting through the blue. One slip and there is no way to repair it.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
I took on a set of bead blasted titanium knife scales last year. The scales were cutting really nice and I wasn't watching close enough my chip had curled around and dragged all along the cut. It wasn't a scratch just burnished the bead blasting. Now what, I folded up a piece of 180 wet dry so it was 4 thicknesses laid it over the scuff and lightly tapped the back with a rawhide mallet. I was able to blend it in. The 180 was a wild guess but it worked for my application might work for you. Like Roger said 1 slip and your done.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If there is a burr left along one side of your cut.. an annoying way to fix it would be to follow up your cuts with a light pass, just on the burr side.. same tool, or a flat might serve?

Latest posts

Sponsors