savage 99

rrupp

i had the savage for years, some put a badly made stock buffed all the corners round. so i decided it was time for a face lift. new wood, mill filed and Trunbull case color hardening with a simple engraving pattern. i made a forge and charcoal blued. now i need to get it checkered. IMG_1622.JPG

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
rrupp,Very nice,I have a 99 and need a stock where did you get the stock from?J.J.

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
I have loved these guns all my life. You brought it back to life I love the simple but elegant scroll work. Showing your Artisan you might consider learning how to check her yourself you know I'm kind of silly like that. Truly nice.
Skill comes from a diligence.

rrupp

I have loved these guns all my life. You brought it back to life I love the simple but elegant scroll work. Showing your Artisan you might consider learning how to check her yourself you know I'm kind of silly like that. Truly nice.
Skill comes from a diligence.
thanks for your comments. i have worked on checkering my entire adult life it seems. and just do not have the feel for it. i would say my early attempts were less than i would have liked so i think i made the decision to pursue that which i could become proficient at. and i would rather put my effort into becoming a good solid engraver.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
rrupp, Jeff Walmsley in Kearney Ne. is a very good at checkering.I have used him for years awesome job at a reasonable price. His finishes are second to none.
Leland

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
thanks for your comments. i have worked on checkering my entire adult life it seems. and just do not have the feel for it. i would say my early attempts were less than i would have liked so i think i made the decision to pursue that which i could become proficient at. and i would rather put my effort into becoming a good solid engraver.
I have tried my hand at checkering as well. I love wood working and made all the case work in our current home. Hand rubbed finishes come to me like a dream. But for some reason I find myself in the exact dilemma as you when it comes to cutting those little diamonds in a piece of wood, go figure.
Skill comes from diligence.

rrupp

rrupp, Jeff Walmsley in Kearney Ne. is a very good at checkering.I have used him for years awesome job at a reasonable price. His finishes are second to none.
Leland
thanks i had Joel Schaffer from Alliance ne. do some of mine but he retired this year so i will look up Jeff.

JJ Roberts

Has anyone ever meet Doug Murray who wrote the book on the Savage 99? I meet Doug at the Newberg N.Y. gun show he had a beautiful display of Savage 99's at his table. J.J.

rrupp

model F ,1915, 22 high power, take down featherweight barrel. i am down to only four in my collection at the present. 300, 303, 250/3000.

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
I also have a few of the Model 99's, including the High Power 22 caliber. Shot the last of the shells years ago and have not been able to find any. Anybody have a source for them, I am tired of reloading and my brass is down to a minimal amount.

JJ Roberts

dogcatcher,AARDAVRK Laboratories,LLC Glenn Anderson the ballistic man to contact I've used him many time Cape Coral, Florida cell-630-957-7999. J.J.

Last edited:

rrupp

i have dies and have loaded a couple of boxes. i haven't shot it much. like the rest of the gun the barrel was pretty pitted. it shot better than i thought. of course i will take credit for that for my reloads. i have several boxes of Old Dominion that i picked up somewhere but i haven't shot any of it. my brass is either Jamisson or Bertrand. i try and load for every caliber i have.

Latest posts

Sponsors