SCI 2022 Auction Rifle

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
I have been posting photos of work-in-progress on this project over the past few months. Today I finished the grip cap. This is more of a graphic than a hair and bones lion, but it's an early version of the SCI Logo....a Black Maned Lion over a Maasai Shield and Crossed Spears. The Lion is gold with a platinum border around the edge of the cap.

SCI_2022_02.jpg SCI_2022_01.jpg .

707chrisa

Hello Mr. Dubber love your work. Do you do the finale assembly of the firearm after engraving and finishing? I have always had trouble getting the screws to clock the way they need to. Any tips you have would be very appreciated.

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
That's always a problem, but it is important for the overall presentation. Screw slot alignment is know in firearms terms as " Screw Registration" or simply "Registered." Some of the methods are listed below:

1) when custom firearms are made by gunmaker the screw heads are left proud off the surrounding metal surface and screwed in tightly. The exposed screw body is then marked at the surface for depth and alignment of the slot. The screw is then removed, cut or machined to the new top height, and the new slot is cut for proper registration when is it is replaced into the part

2) very thin washer "shims" can be used so that the screw slot aligns upon tightening

3) a lathe can be used to turn metal off the base of the screw head (where the screw bottoms out in the recess) to obtain proper registration

4) the screw recess or hole (where the screw head bottoms out in the recess) can be drilled to a lower level to allow the slot to register

Here is a Colt SAA - photo taken as I was in the process of registering the screws for vertical alignment

Attachments

• SamColt43.JPG
    SamColt43.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

707chrisa

Thank you.
I was loath to cut on the screw seats and I am having some trouble getting new screws. I have some .003 stainless shim stock I will try punching out some shim washer. May need some thing thinner. The idea of screw registration was a value
added idea for reassemble after deep clean and action job . May be I need to rethink this . Thank you again .

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
They're also known as "timed" or "indexed" screws and their orientation is sometimes described as "north-south" with slots running parallel to the bore, but I've never heard "east-west" used for vertical alignment like Mike shows in his photo.

When you think about it, "north-south" is a little awkward, given that it indicates up & down on a map, but a gun would have to be standing on its butt or muzzle. Tis a curious business...

707chrisa

LoL thank you guys . What ever the term it is still a pain in the butt. I think I will look around for the right screws and lathe down the back of them. This is just a cleaning / refurbish and action job. I am not ready to engrave on a gun yet. Thank you all again . I am just trying to "up" my game .

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Yes, I agree, there are numerous ways of describing the alignment process - "Timed" is good one as well. I've always done my Colt work with vertical alignment - that's what they want out of the Custom Shop.

Speaking of which, how about this "North & South" alignment...and, as if we have not discussed this subject before...what happened to the screws on the right panel where they normally exit through the frame???

RELKD_06.jpg RELN.jpg

Last edited:

SDH

There is a pragmatic reason for aligning screw slots and I believe this was the original reason the British and Continental gunmakers aligned the screw slots going back to the 17th Century.
When the screws are tight and aligned, it is immediately obvious if they come loose. These days it is mainly an example of detailed professional craftsmanship.
As Mike can tell you, all the screws on my projects are final fit so the engraver does not have to worry about alignment. I don't align all the slots on projects like lever actions because they have so many screws it looks forced and awkward to me. I do all final assembly on my custom projects so I can tweak if necessary.

Engraving by Gordon Alcorn

BTW Mike, Lovely rendition of the early SCI Logo~~

Last edited:

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When I build both English and American muzzleloading rifles, I adjust both the thread length and countersink depth so that when the screw is tightened, it won't go any further than the clocked position. Since ML shooters are prone to removing the lock and/or barrel for cleaning, this prevents wood compression because most of those guys are ham-fisted and will tighten a screw as tight as they can get it. Wood compression in the lock area results in component drag and lock malfunction. Perhaps early gunmakers were also aware of this - resulting in clocked screws. Very few builders thread their own screws and the ones which come in kits are threaded for their full length which results in the aforesaid overtightening problem.

Latest posts

Sponsors