Scope lighting,,,Take 2???

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
Well, trying not to start a rhubarb, I will give you some of my trials and tribulations of scope lighting.
This past week I got a very good deal on a Fiber Optic Ring light, adjustable for focus, and 300w. Thought this would be the cats meow, oops. First off, even on low power, it literally blows your design off of the metal, to much light. Then there is the cost to run it, bulbs are supposed to last for 50-75 hrs, so figuring the low number, it works out to 4.99 an hour. The bulbs I found out cost $199.25 plus tax, thank you.
I had tried the barbecue lights that some one had mentioned, will work if you have nothing else, or as a portable setup for shows, they put out a good amount of light, but not quite what you want. They do work great as a light source for a light box , to take pictures.
So back to my old setup of a 12w florescent ring light, and an flex arm light with a 100w florescent bulb in it, so that it stays cool, it gives good light, without blowing your design off the metal.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
300w not 30w. Wow, that must be one heck of a ring light. You sure it's not for camera work, instead
of being used on a scope? I've got a ring light for my Nikon and you can turn the working light on.
I'm not going to put on a scope any time soon.

Maybe a dimmer switch could help. Or it could one of those lights for stuff that doesn't reflect back.

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
It's a 300watt light, and yes it does have a dimmer switch on it. According to the GE sight, the bulb is a 300w Quartz Xenon Arc Tube, with a color temp of 6000 Kelvin.

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I've used fiber optic lights when teaching a class overseas and they were pretty good except for the heat the box radiates and its fan noise. I don't think I'll be buying one for those reasons. The light seemed fine.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, I think you were just exposed to a bad setup. I love fiberoptic, I have used them for as long as I have had microscopes, so over 20 years. They are great to dial the light intensity up when working on dark objects, like something blued, or down when working on very bright surface to minimize reflection through the scope. I have had several different ones over the years in use at various bench setups, and never noticed any heat or noise issues, but of course this could be affected by how long your wand is. I would say the average life of a bulb is 5 or 6 years. I would reccomend that you get a normal wandlight, not a ringlight, as the ringlight is not a distinct enough light source which is bad for shading.

I also use fiberoptic for spot lighting dark areas in my photo setup

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
I used the term ring light as a general description, this one has 8 lenses on that are setup to give you a spot, or flood, or any thing in between. The main problem with it is, I think, is that it is a 300w light. I got to looking on ebay and most of them are of the 150w variety, I think this one is just too much light.

Andrew Biggs

I just use an LED ring light that can be turned up or down. I've no idea what the wattage is or brand but it seems to work just fine. If the surface is too shiny then I just dab it with a bit of Sam's transfer wax to cut any glare. If I need any more light I just use a 100 watt fluro bulb on an old flexible light stand I've had for the last 30 years.

Most of my engraving is done at night and the lighting seems to work well.

Cheers
Andrew

coincutter

Elite Cafe Member
i think you may be the proud owner of a high end lab toy
it sets up dental plastics - high UV output and great for working polymers fast under the scope in a dental lab

dont radiate yourself too much
but if your engravings dont sell you can always mock model dental designs for the local labs
be careful with that thing it will burn you

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
I just use an LED ring light that can be turned up or down. I've no idea what the wattage is or brand but it seems to work just fine. If the surface is too shiny then I just dab it with a bit of Sam's transfer wax to cut any glare. If I need any more light I just use a 100 watt fluro bulb on an old flexible light stand I've had for the last 30 years.

Most of my engraving is done at night and the lighting seems to work well.

Cheers
Andrew

Just received this LED ring light and the price is right...
ebay#160209543586
Jerry

CJ Allan

Elite Cafe Member
Jerry,
Let me know how that light is working out for ya...
I'm needing to get a light.....but seems there's Tooo much conflicting info to make a decision.........:) :)

Got my headrest done....now on to a good light.

thanks..........
\

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
CJ and others; I ended up taking that light system down, and going back to my original system. Which is a 12w Floro ring light, and a 100w Floro bulb in a flex arm at a angle to the surface. I don't know how I did it, but I sold it on ebay, for more than I paid for it.

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
CJ,
It's brighter than the fluoresce ring and it also has a rheostat to turn the brightness up or down...
Jerry

Raul Hinz

I use the LED in my jewelry bench . I have replace the fluoresce ring 3 times 2 of the times plat rings wen fling
and 1 the fluoresce ring burn so I hope my LED will lass I like the direction and control of the bulbs
in general I like my LED :D :D :D :D

Raul HInz