Question: Screw Heads

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Could someone tell me a good way to hold a screw in order to engrave the head. I am engraving grip screws for the 1911 grips, an I am having a lot of trouble holding them. On the first one I started to insert the threads in the v in the block vise, then I thought that would mess up the threads, so I did not try that. When I put the head in the v notch, it is too low and I don't have room to tilt my graver.
Thanks in advance for some good answers, I know you pros know how to do this.
Carl

qndrgnsdd

Elite Cafe Member
I went to the shoe shop and got a neoprene sole. I cut a peice to fit the jaws of my engravers ball and glued them on. I kept the leftover pieces for about 20 years thinking I would have to replace them accaisionally. They're still on there and I hold all kinds of things including gold and silver rings for setting without any dents or dings, including many screws!.....Owen
www.walkergoldsmiths.com

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have 2 pcs of 1" X 3/8" X 3" hardwood. I put them together and drilled a few common size holes (undersize) between them. For odd sizes, you can reverse one side and just use the 1/2 round. Nylon, Teflon would also work.

joe seeley

I use a small double angle collet chuck and hold that in my vice. It allows me to change collets according to the size of the screw. it also sets the head of the screw up high enough that I have no problems working with the dome on the screw head

Joe

dclevinger

Elite Cafe Member
I do a lot of grip screws and made a holder out of an oak block and some old bushing. I drilled hole just big enough for the bushing threads and epoxied them into the block. It lets me work on four screws at a time.

For most other screws, I just use some jaws made of thermo loc.

David

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
I knew ya'll would know how to do this.

David, I have some old bushings that I could use, I like the idea of 4 at a time. Does the screw not come loose in the bushing? Can you tighten it enough to hold while engraving. Actually I have a piece of steel and a drill and tap for the bushings, I could mount them in steel and set them with a punch or epoxy them so they would not get loose.

Joe, I am not familiar with a double angle Colet, so I can't get a mental picture of exactly what you mean. I do like the idea of holding them at a maximum height.

I also have plenty of hard wood in the shop and some leather. I will give it a shot tomorrow and let you know how it turns out.
My many thanks to all for the help and speedy responses.
Carl

dclevinger

Elite Cafe Member
Carl,
I haven't had one come loose yet and I don't tighten them very tight, just snug. At this point I think I've done about 400 of the dang things.

David

eisman

The first thing I thought of was using a jig with bushings. Use a little blue Loc-Tite and they won't move.

I used to hold stuff by taking a couple jaws and covering them with leather. That will hold most parts pretty well.

Another way is to use a little AcraGlass. Coat the screw (or other small part) with release agent, drill a hole in a piece of scrap wood, add the 'glass, push in the part, and when it sets do whatever. Screws back right out, other parts need assistance.

CJ Allan

Elite Cafe Member
I'd really like to see some of the screw heads you guys have done, or are doing...

These things fasinate me. :)

Dulltool

Elite Cafe Member
What I've been doing is drilling under sized holes in a small block of pine. I then just hand screw the screws into the holes (self tapping) until they are nice and tight. I can get all the screws from a SAA in to my vise all at the same time.... plus should your graver slip it will just hit soft wood. :)

Last edited:

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I hold them by screwing them into a split nut. The split nut protects the threads and hold like a vise when in the engravers ball. you only have to slit the nut on one side with a jewelers saw.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I glued two thick pieces of leather onto the jaws of my vice. Things like screws are no problem, but another easy solution would be using wood as described.

Peter

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use a block of wood that I drilled holes into. I then split the wood into 2 pieces right through the holes. I put a piece of abrasive paper around the screws and clamp tight in the wood block. The paper creates just enough friction to hold the screw tight.

But i do like Jere's idea of a split nut.

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys for all this useful information. I just didn't want to waste time trying to figure it out by trial and error, so thought I would ask, and as usual ya'll came to the rescue.
Carl

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use thermolok to hold the screws. Place the screws in when it is warm, then tighten them when it is cured. Holds 'em tight and just unscrew 'em when finished. A little bit of thermolok will hold a lot of screws.

brengraver

Hello Carl:
I have a screw holding fixture that I think I bought from Brownell's, years ago. I actually met the guy who made them at a gun show in N.C.
The piece is two apx. 1/2" sq. bars as wide as your block jaws. They have a slight dado cut in the outside-bottom so they won't slip through the jaws when opened. There are several holes drilled on center of the two pieces in different diameters to fit different screw sizes. There are also two dowels set in the inside face of one, that engage wholes in the other side, to keep them lined up. I know this is totally confusing, but I have an engineer friend who saw mine, and made one with about twice the number of whole sizes! You know engineers.....
I don't know where these are available now, but the work perfectly. I've been using mine for 30 years plus, recently on restoration job that required all the screws to be re-detailed.
Surely, as simple as this jig is, someone makes them. If not, I could get you to my engineer friend. Bob

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Brengraver:
Thanks for that. I have bought several dollars worth of material from Brownell's over the years. Did a little gun smithing years ago. Anyway I think I remember seeing that screw holding jig in the older catalogs. I will look at the new catalog and see if they still have them.
Right now I am making it fairly well with a split piece of wood with a small hole in the slot. It is holding pretty tight.
Thanks again
Carl