Scrimshaw Dragon... in color!

KatherinePlumer

Elite Cafe Member
Wow, color scrim is quite challenging, and time-consuming! This is my first attempt a "proper" full color scrim (I have another in progress that I deliberately did backwards...light to dark instead of dark to light). I did this one working from dark to light (black-red-yellow ochre) but had to do a bunch of touch-up in between. Still learning, but I am really happy with how this turned out so I had to share. :D

multicolor scrimshaw on vintage pre-ban elephant ivory
sterling silver bail and sterling silver 2mm 18 inch wheat chain
It's 1-1/8 by 1-5/8 inches at its widest points, and 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick (it tapers)

-Katherine

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Katherine,
Very nice, I bought a few hundred old ivory piano key on ebay and hope to have time to do something in scrimshaw... Lot to learn for this old guy...
Love to see the next one...
Jerry

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Katherine, It looks great. I especially like how the dragon seems to be looking over his shoulder. It jumps off the background. :)

sdcoxx

Elite Cafe Member
Katherine, Very Nice...
I appreciate your hard work and wonderful talents.
You have every right to be proud of yourself...
Thanks for sharing,
Stephen

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice. Dragons are a favorite of mine too and that is a nice one.

Thanks for posting it.

Peter

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I see the dragon has four toes (talons?) which means it is for royalty if I remember correctly. Five talons are for the Emp..(king, can't spell) and three toes are for everyone else. maybe someone from the orient can correct me if I'm wrong. Good work and nice flow to him.

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Scrimshawed dragon

Nice work Katherine, I done a bit of scrim over the years, but not that tiny. I work on a more traditional style in horn, some ivory etc. But I call it engraving......semantics....What sort of tools do you use? Stylus, gravers?
Mark

KatherinePlumer

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you so much everyone! :)

Big-Un, I'd read something similar about the toes.. that they are most often shown with 4 toes, or 5 toes in the symbol of the emperor. I figured since I'm used to drawing bird feet I'd stick with four!

-Katherine

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I like your latest project. Have you done any shows in your area? Keep up the good work.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts
School of Artistic Engraving
Manassas, VA

KatherinePlumer

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks! :)

Mark- the only tool I'm using at the moment is a carbide tipped etching needle.

JJ- nope, haven't done any shows yet but I want to! I took some of the very early sample pieces to a fine art show in mid Sept and they definitely got some interest though...not so much a knife crowd but people were interested in jewelry. I DO want to do something on a knife though!

-Katherine

Latest posts

Sponsors