Script engraving tutorial

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Everyone, I would like to see a tutorial on script lettering, I get some work for lettering jobs & most involve script. the drawing is not the problem. I have seen some demo's where the line of beauty is cut in one pass, and some with multiple passes at the main stem. Is there a right or wrong way? Hope i'm not beating a dead horse.
Kent

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
KSnyder, Either way will do. the differences are that one way is a "natural cut" the other requires a back cutting technique which requires just slightly more skill with your tools. Back-cutting is an unatural movement of the tool. If you are right-handed, it is natural to cut an arc to the left. It is unatural to cut an arc to your right. Got the idea? The continuous line beauty line, however is a smooth transition, with the bevel being uninterrupted, whereas the two cut beauty line might show where the two cuts come together unless you are extremely good with your tools. Hope this explains it.
Ron S

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Ron, Most of my trouble comes from the stems of "d", "b" & "t" I have trouble getting em' thick enough with one pass and on the second cut to widen em' out :eek: usually they get cobbled up. I've been trying to use a flat ground @ 50 face & 10-15 radius heel. Have used the 120 w/ some success also. thanks for the info.
Kent

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Kent: Your 50/15 radius flat should do the trick. Mine has a 40º face, so you might want to try that. The bar cuts of the d, b, t, etc should be executed in one pass. Recutting often leads to less than desirable results, but sometimes has to be done.

Your problem sounds like a control issue more than a graver problem. My advice is to practice with very small letters (maybe 3/8" tall bar cuts). Larger letters take considerably more control to properly brightcut. Also, DRAW the letter in great detail before you cut. I use a scriber or needle-sharp pencil for a very precise outline. Making a fat line with a dull pencil might be ok for a seasoned pro, but probably not a good idea for someone learning to engrave script. Then practice practice and practice some more. Script is very satisfying work, but requires patience and persistence. / ~Sam

Kerry Bogan

Kent this is a great thread because I love to letter, any kind it doesn't matter. I want to ask a question on your thread for anyone.
When cutting script with the new power tools and a cut reverses it's arc like a T most of the older handbooks show cutting about half way (left hand or counter clockwise for right handed people as Ron said) then turn it 180 degrees and repeat the cut to meet at approximatly the center. I understand this with a flat graver because of the tool geometry but if you are using 120 degree tool is there any reason not to make the cut in one fluid motion?
Kerry

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Kerry: I cut beauty cuts in one pass starting from the bottom (flat or 120, but flat is my graver of choice). It's quite easy to do with a pneumatic handpiece but very risky by hand pushing. The only double-cut I make is the right bar in a lower case letter "n" for instance. Oh, and to dot an "i"...I double-cut that as well. / ~Sam

Latest posts

Sponsors