Question: Securely Hold A Cuff For Diamond Setting

tazzawazza

Does anyone have any thoughts, tricks, rigs for solidly securing a Cuff bracelet for diamond setting under the microscope in their vise? I get it done but every time I try some new and nothing is positively ‘steady.’ Need it to be rock solid not moving and the cuff flexs besides. Thanks to anyone for any thoughts.

tazzawazza

I am going to give that try. I have an oval mandrel here and I’ll cut it up in 1.5 inch sections & hot glue the bracelet to it. Thanks! I think might work. I will let you know.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use hot glue for most applications. But if immobility is key (outside of grafting a perfectly contoured jig out of wood or metal) I use shellac. It is rock solid. Will break before it bends, which is what you want if you are texturing reppouse, or setting stones, as the case may be.

silvermon

Good comments above, and I would add that with a little search, you will find that pitch can be adjusted for hardness versus flexibility. I usually use a softer mix and freeze it. Gives me a hard working support, but easier to remove the object from the softer pitch mix. Tar pitch seems more versatile to me, but I use resin pitch as well, and get good results.

PS_Bond

Elite Cafe Member
The classic setter's pitch/wax is usually shellac based; I've got that, pine-based pitch and bitumenous pitch. The first 2 are less hassle to clean up.

Latest posts

Sponsors