Self-taught beginner

Santo

Elite Cafe Member
As a self-taught beginner to this wonderful art I am totally into this new cafe. Sam's tips and tricks have already proven invaluable for me. At 58 you'd think I would find something I wouldn't have to work so hard on -- well, I've always had a habit of jumping in up to me neck. I appreciate anything and everything I can learn from all of you on this site. Thank you Sam for your work and passion for this art. Oh, and right now I am in dire need of an engravers block if anyone has a used one for sale. Thanks

Santo

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hi Santo, and welcom to the Cafe. Thanks for your kind words, and I wish you much success on your engraving journey. If you stick around here, I'm sure you'll find people who are willing to help.

You might start a new thread: Wanted - Engraver's block

Maybe someone has one for sale. Cheers / ~Sam

Jon C. Dake

Hey Santo, I've got you beat by a couple of years on my start and I'm still a novice. What is that they say about us old dogs and new tricks. Well, obviously I ignored that too. If they are in the budget for learning this art form, I would highly recommend taking some engraving classes as they will help a lot.

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Well you youngsters have a world of fun ahead of you. I too am a self taught wandabee. I'm a few years beyond you fellows. I finally took a class from Sam. Fortunate for me the great city of Emporia did not have a pointy hat in stock or Sam would have had me sittin in the corner!:D
Seriously when we're older we can not compete with the young ones, but we can learn the tools and compete with ourselves. In doing this self competition, we sure can have fun. So carry on with vigor!

Jim-Iowa

Elite Cafe Member
As a guy just starting in this game at 56, I have to believe there is somthing to be said for maturity. I know 25-30 yrs ago I would not have had the paitience or stubbornness to even try. A few bad expierinces and I would have chucked it in.

Santo

Elite Cafe Member
Hey all, thanks for all the encouragement and advice. I am working on some creative financing in order to take a class. Learning engraving is easier!! I'll just keep at it a bit at a time and keep reading all the good stuff in this cafe. Thanks to everyone for being here!!

Santo