Shading lesson

smays

Here is my idea... Maybe Sam (yes this is your forum, so I am volunteering you) just maybe...Sam could do a simple layout of a scroll and we could do our own variations of shading and see what everyone comes up with. Everyone will probably come up with something different and it might shed some light for some of us. We could post our drawings when we are done. It might be neat to see some different variations on the same scroll layout. Just a thought.

Shawn

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Shawn: Let me give it some thought. I don't want to rip off Steve's idea, but seeing how each person handles shading a certain design might be fun. I think Steve is walking everyone through his layout step by step, right? If we could come up with something that'll help Cafe members learn I think it would be great.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,

I didn't mean it to sound like that. I just didn't see any sense in re-inventing the wheel.

Ray

Cody

Elite Cafe Member
Ray, I don't think it would be reinventing the wheel as much as it would be offering the "wheel" to ALL engravers. Steves site focuses only on airgraver users. The cafe is geared toward ALL hand engravers tool choice notwithstanding.

jacques herbst

Elite Cafe Member
nice idea smays.it is different from the one on Steve's site.the one on Steve's site is a space on a knife to fill with your own scroll or what ever you choose to fill the space and the one that Sam is referring to is a practice plate that you can cut with Steve through a series of videos.both ideas are great and i am sure it will be helpful to us beginners to see different shading on the same scroll.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I didn't mean it to sould like it was a rip off idea just that if someone is already currently doing it it seemed redundant to me.

Ray

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have to agree with Cody, Steve Lindsay's forum is strictly for Air Graver users it's stated plain and simple. I was on it before and wasn't able to type in certain names. The best engravings in the world are not done only with an Air Graver and I mean no disrespect, the Lindsay Air Graver is a wonderful tool I'm sure. It's just that this forum has no bias to what you chose to engrave with (hammer and chisel, Graver MAX, Meister, Air Graver, push graver, nail, screw what ever) or what or who- you choise to mention. So I think it would be interesting seeing how others on this forum would shade a silhouette and what tools they used to do it with. Or even something like Ron Smith has in his book and just have some backbones laid out in a designated area or shape. I personally would love to see all the different finished products from the same conceived layout, even if not engraved and only sketched. Also if someone would change the layout maybe they could explain why they disagread with it.
Just my thoughts
Mike

Cody

Elite Cafe Member
So, would it work like this?. A picture is posted of a design, perhaps just the backbone of the scrolls as Mike suggested, or maybe the entire scroll with leaves only needing the shading, but is posted as a line drawing that can be downloaded, then printed and transfered so everyone is working on the exact same design. Then cut the scrolls, fill in the detail and post what you did. I would suggest there be a time laps, perhaps a few days or more in which no-one is to post their finished project so everyone that wants to play can do so without haveing their creative thoughts swayed by seeing the work of others.

Kerry Bogan

I think it's a good idea! I'm doing the one on Steve's site and I would recomend everyone try it. I don't think he cares what tools you use he just does'nt want to discuss other tools.
Sam is a master of shading and as he says "the shading brings it to life" so I would really like to do a shading project overseen by Sam.
At 2006 FEGA show in Reno I attempted this very thing by handing out some small preengraved plates with leaves on them. I included a stamped mailer for return. The idea was to have a control with the same design and then have each engraver interpret the design his/hers shading. I wanted to submit the project to FEGA for a possible article in the magazine. Chris DeCamilis was the only one to respond, I think the others may have been offended some how because I never heard from them.
Any way intepretation of light through shading has much application for all of us.
Kerry

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
If members feel the need for such an exercise, then we can work something out. I won't be home for another week or so, but will be monitoring the Cafe when possible.