Short Graver Competition

Dmitriy Pavlov

Elite Cafe Member
Which one of you thinks that you are the most greedy/ lazy/ tight budgeted :) engraver out there? I want to have a little competition to see who has the shortest graver left after it has been used to the "fullest". This one is mine: let’s see if anyone can beat this.

Attachments

• graver1.jpg
    graver1.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 235

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
short graver contest

i'll wager money i'm lazier than you ! but i think my shortest graver exceeds yours by maybe 7 or 8 mm. now, friend how can we decide who's the laziest ?

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Buried Treasure

Hi Dmitriy.
I have a liner with a quarter inch of blade left to sharpen, but it has a big tang.
I took a class at Glendo and was roaming around the shop looking at stuff. I looked into the water
can next to the grinder. At the bottom in the mud was something? So, I fished it out.
Someone was teaching students to cut down 16-8 liners and had left twelve half blades.
I now have enough of these little beauties to last me for the rest of my life.
Thank you very much GRS! Never know what you'll find in the mud when you go a diggin.

Jim

ps, you can't get much lazier than to have a teacher preform a life time supply of liners. I also found some
nice points also.

Attachments

• Shortest1a.jpg
    Shortest1a.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dmitry, I was looking for a bent liner of mine that might be in the running but as you can imagine I could not locate it through the mess. But I want to thank you for the post because I found something to take my mind off of the search. No, it wasn't anything for adult only eyes. It was a bag of 50 Montana Sapphires. The liner will have to surface on it's own. Thanks for the post.

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dmitriy, We might all have to pitch in and buy you some gravers, just to help a brother out, you know! :D I haven't been engraving long enough to get any ground down nearly that short. :eek: Hang in there, Dwayne

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Dmitriy,
That's not tight budgeted, that just tight or your favorite graver...
I just started learning in 2004 at 61 amd I don't think I can cut and grind away that much steel in all the years my body and mine will let me enjoy this journey...
Hope to see more of your work...
Nice
Jerry

Bill Brockway

Dmitry -

A long time ago, I saw a trick by Lynton McKenzie where he mounted his too-short graver points in a brass rod extension, end-drilled for a press fit, allowing him to use them until they can't be sharpened any more. At $16 bucks a pop, that sounded like a pretty good idea. Here's some of my used ones. The shortest one measures .935." Bill

Latest posts

Sponsors