Question: Silver Bracelet

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
I have been ask to do some initials on a silver blank bracelet that has already been formed. My question is,

can this formed bracelet be straightened, engraved and then reformed without damage to the piece? If so,

how can this be done?

If there is no way to do this, what are the means of holding such a piece? I'm sure someone has come upon

the same problem, tell me your solution. Please.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Carl

I definatley would not straighten the bracelet......the chances of it breaking are quite high.

Make up a wooden jig that fits inside the bracelet. Cut it out with a fretsaw or bandsaw. Make it a bit smaller than a tight fit. Cover it with thermolock and that will fill any gaps. Heat up.........slide on and press down. That will be your jig to hold them.

Cheers
Andrew

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carl,

Andrew's suggestion is good. If you have not done much engraving on curved surfaces,
bend up a practice piece and think of yourself as an ant crawling over a bowling ball, it is a whole different game, and you will be surprised how much your tool control will develop.

best

Rod

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew,
Thanks, I had thought of that, but didn't know if there was a better way or not. I was hoping to straighten it but was afraid of exactly what you said, possibility of breaking. If there is no better way of holding, I will sure try your suggestion.

Rod,
Thanks for the advise, I'm sure I will practice a lot before I attempt a customers project. I have done a little work on a curved surface and you are correct in saying that it is a whole different ball game. It takes a lot of practice. I am willing to do the practice in order to help my tool control.

Carl

handengraver

Elite Cafe Member
I have been ask to do some initials on a silver blank bracelet that has already been formed. My question is,

can this formed bracelet be straightened, engraved and then reformed without damage to the piece? If so,

how can this be done?

If there is no way to do this, what are the means of holding such a piece? I'm sure someone has come upon

the same problem, tell me your solution. Please.

Hold me and do me - says your bracelet. If the bar has a heavy structure, You can hold it with ease in your GRS block. First You must cover the edges of the vise with masking tape applying the strips to cover both horizontal and vertical parts of it, to ensure that You won't leave any marks on the edges, silver is a soft metal.

Don't worry about the curviture of the piece, although that is a fact, but the tiny parts of the surface where You make your particular cuts are always close to flat! Make your drawing and cold point markings before putting it in the vise. When ready to cut, place it between the jaws with the starting part of the bracelet higher then the level of your vise, and let the rest of it stay lower. As You progress with the cutting, adjust the piece always accordingly, the actual work surface above the jaws, the done and would be done parts below...

When a cat is served very hot porridge on his dish, he walks around until it is cooling. When we have a problem of how to start a job, we do the same. Eating the porridge takes fairly short time for the cat, once it is no longer hot. Doing a job is no big deal for us either, once we know how to start...

Good luck. Greetings - Ivan

Latest posts

Sponsors