silversmith pickle?

ken dixon

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, I have a crockpot with sparex pickle solution in it that I havent used for a few months, the solution is still liquid but it has a lot of crystals in the bottom, like rock salt size. Is it still ok or should I throw it out and start over. Thanks Ken

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
Ken:
I have used Spyrex a lot, and all you have to do is add hot water, and it will come back into solution. If it it is badly discolored, through, throw it out and mix a fresh batch. Spyrex is pretty forgiving. Just remember to NEVER put anything iron into it, including stainless, as it will turn your silver pink with iron oxide.:)

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
sparex

sparex the rod, and spoilex the child. filter out any gunk, it should be good to go.

Dmitriy Pavlov

Elite Cafe Member
Ken, I have use Spyrex too. Do not worry about drying, just add a hot water. It will be like new. If color of your Spyrex solution is green or blue, it means that in the solution lot of copper. But solution have a work condition. Powderhorn are right do not put in the Spyrex solution any steel or iron exclude good stainless, best way is use cooper or titanium tweezers. But Powderhorn, pink color on a silver or gold is not an iron oxide, is a copper. You can easy remove it with a brush and a toilet bowl cleaner (HCl - Hydrochloric acid)

Last edited:

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
No worries mate!!!!! It'll work fine just add water.I would advise you to use distilled H2O next time you mix up a batch as tap water has trace minerals and chemicals in it and can at times play tricks with you.I use double DI H2O just for that reason.
Ihave had the stuff left on and evaporated the water out of it and added water back in and it seemed to work OK.
I make a new batch every 6 weeks or so depending on how dirty it looks.

Latest posts

Sponsors