John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member
Excellent and useful post Doug.

My favorite part was: "It is really quite a complex and a simple operation, all at the same time."

I was taking a friend who's an aeronautical engineer for his first horseback ride and he asked me how do you keep from tipping off when you get up there in the middle. I still don't have an answer.

John

Dan W

Elite Cafe Member
I want to thank you all for your input. It has been very helpfull. Doug, that's the best written explination of what goes on during the process that I have read to date. I can't tell you all how much the advice has done to keep me excited about learning to work in metal. I will keep up you up to date on my progress.

Dan

MtMan

I can reccomend all of the Bill Fretz DVDs on how to use his stakes and hammers for various jewelry projects.
"http://www.riogrande.com/Search/fretz_/Tools-and-Equipment/120/Books-and-DVDs/5812"

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Escuela Municipal De Orfebreria Olavarria is a school that I visited in Argentina. They teach traditional methods of silversmithing from the ground up. look at thier FB page for examples from former students, amazing to see what can be accomplished with minimal tooling that is usually scrounged up.

Cecilia

I am also trying to learn chasing and repousse, however, my wrist are not liking this too much. I've order Nancy's book but wondered if you or anyone out there is using a hammer handpiece with graving accessories to do chasing. I am having trouble finding the correct tools.

tsterling

Elite Cafe Member
I wondered if you or anyone out there is using a hammer handpiece with graving accessories to do chasing. I am having trouble finding the correct tools.

Hi Cecilia,

I do a little chasing with my Lindsay Nitro G20 - you can see a little of that here: http://sterlingsculptures.com/wp/?p=2216

I make all of my own chasing tools from 1/8 inch diameter piano wire.

Tom

Dan W

Elite Cafe Member
I can reccomend all of the Bill Fretz DVDs on how to use his stakes and hammers for various jewelry projects.
"http://www.riogrande.com/Search/fretz_/Tools-and-Equipment/120/Books-and-DVDs/5812"

Thanks MtMan,
I am familiar with the Fretz line of tools. Most of which are for jewelry work. I am looking into working with larger projects. At this point I am tempted to get the tools and DVD's just to get some practice. I'm sure that the tecniques are very similar, with the main difference being the size of the tools.
Dan

Dan W

Elite Cafe Member
Escuela Municipal De Orfebreria Olavarria is a school that I visited in Argentina. They teach traditional methods of silversmithing from the ground up. look at thier FB page for examples from former students, amazing to see what can be accomplished with minimal tooling that is usually scrounged up.

Thanks silverchip, I will check 'em out on FB.
Dan

P.S. My father-in-law used to own property in Riggins Idaho. Great fishing!

lines

Wood stake

This is the maple stake that I use to start most vessel shapes. I used a polished cross peen hammer for all raising. The cut in the middle is to fit in a vise.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 80
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 80

lines

Good advice

Hi dan dhalls advice is spot on. This pice was raised using the crimp method and my maple stake. Finish on curved stakes but not filed just plainished.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 60

Latest posts

Sponsors