Help, please: Single scroll

Borzzza

Elite Cafe Member
I'm a newbie, just couple of months practicing after a GRS class in April. I'm not really good in drawing, today I've been trying to get a "perfect" scroll to be used in further design, out of a dozen backbones I got couple of good ones.... I got them together on a tracing paper, would appreciate any critique/advise.

Thanks!
Nata IMG_1727.JPG

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i think i see a very minor flat spot. once engraved, it will not show. an excellent start. good drawing is the foundation of all you will do, and can't be emphasized too much. good luck to you.

Borzzza

Elite Cafe Member
i think i see a very minor flat spot. once engraved, it will not show. an excellent start. good drawing is the foundation of all you will do, and can't be emphasized too much. good luck to you.

Thank you! All those amasing works people share here inspire me to try my best.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
The first and fourth ones look rather nice. Number 2 the center is a bit off to the left and number 3 a bit down. The last one has a bit of a hump at the top. Keep going, you are doing fine.

dcurrie911

Elite Cafe Member
I agree with Sam. #1 and #4 are best. #1 is either slightly humped at 12:00 or slightly flat between 1:00 and 2:00. #4 is really good and the only thing I can see is that the line is slightly thicker at the 12:00 position but I am stretching to find something wrong with it. Over all very good start.

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
Very good for early attempts. I feel that engraving is much like handwriting. Everyone will develop their own style. It must be neat clean and have good form though. Many people's handwriting today is not neat and have good form. Look as many different examples of engraving as you can and draw, draw, and draw some more.

Borzzza

Elite Cafe Member
I copied scroll #4 several times to figure out how to put leaves, no succsess at all...the size of the scroll is 1,5 sm and I guess it's too small for me make nice drawing, so I decided to try in large.

On the video tutorials it all looks so easy and natural, but when it comes to drawing I'm using eraser a lot for each little leaf))))))) my respect once again to all professional engravers! IMG_1865.JPG IMG_1869.JPG

Borzzza

Elite Cafe Member
That is called the learning curve...the more you draw it the easier it will become. That being said, you are doing a lot better than I did on my early attempts some 50 years ago.
Thanks to you and everybody on this forum learning curve is waaay shorter nowadays))

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"I'm using eraser a lot for each little leaf" One of your most important tools, particularly while learning the basics. You're starting well, keep up the drawing practice but don't be afraid to start cutting some of these scrolls on metal.

Master Engraver

You seem to be up for a good start!
Keep the scrolls and leaves simple at the beginning. It helps you to observe balance, flow, structure and negative space. Pick a few good examples of your favourite scroll. Print it. And then trace it over and over again. And then try to replicate it from your head.

Keep going! I’ll bet you are gonna get far.

Borzzza

Elite Cafe Member
"I'm using eraser a lot for each little leaf" One of your most important tools, particularly while learning the basics. You're starting well, keep up the drawing practice but don't be afraid to start cutting some of these scrolls on metal.

I will post my practice plate with this scroll design cut when it's ready! Though I know my graver control is not good enough yet I love engraving, enjoy the process so much)

Borzzza

Elite Cafe Member
You seem to be up for a good start!
Keep the scrolls and leaves simple at the beginning. It helps you to observe balance, flow, structure and negative space. Pick a few good examples of your favourite scroll. Print it. And then trace it over and over again. And then try to replicate it from your head.

Keep going! I’ll bet you are gonna get far.

Thanks for advise!
It is indeed quite difficult to keep scrolls and leaves simple, especially after looking at amasing stuff people are posting here....)))))