Smokey and the Bandit Engraved Pendant

Andrew Biggs

Thank you everyone for those very kind words.

Yip, the black cats were a bit of a challenge but not too bad when I started getting into it. As usual I learnt quite a bit along the way.

Ken....I think the maximum magnification on my microscope is 20X. However I hardly ever go that far as it can get out of focus (because of the focal length or some other technical term) very easily so I have a tendancy to pull back a bit.

One interesting thing about the microscope and bulino work. It really pays to check your work often with your normal vision. The magnification can be quite decieving. It dosn't look like much is happening under the scope but when the actual engraving is only 10mm in diameter then a whole lot is really happening!!! And you can easily start overworking an area that looks great under the scope but a real mess to the naked eye.

Another thing was the dots and how they are formed. If you dig in and flick, you are left with a tiny bur that can be felt when you start filling an area. These burrs catch the skin on the finger as you contantly wipe your work so it gived the impression that you have actually covered an area as it darkens very quickly. These burs are very fragile and would wear off very quickly as you can't even see them under a microscope. Then you are left with a situation where the engraving would lose it's density quite quickly if exposed to rubbing.

If you prick the dot and pull the graver tip back toward yourself then you are left with a puncture without the burr so it gives you a far better indication of how dense the dots are. I'm not suggesting that one method is preferential over the other but I am saying it's something to be aware of.

All sounds complicated but have a try and you'll see what I'm getting at in a nano second.

So once again thanks for the compliments. I'm now starting to draw my very first paid commisioned job. It's only a $200 job engraving on an oval German Silver disk to be inlaid into a rifle stock (I suspect the guy will get about $1000 worth of engraving).........................but we all have to start somewhere. Quite exciting really!!!! :)

Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice Andrew!! Now next time imagine this......... inlay some gold in those eyes and you have a power house knock out, but very impressive as it is.......Ron S

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew,

Don't know how many $1000 jobs I did for $200 while starting out. Always thought it was pretty cool to get paid to learn though!

Weldon

shonn

if that is for the cat to wear, and the cat got lost i dont know what i would miss more the pendant or the cat.

the pendant looks very nice!

Latest posts

Sponsors