Smokey and the Bandit Engraved Pendant

Andrew Biggs

I have Abigail to thank for this idea. It’s actually a stainless steel key fob from GRS but they make quite a respectable pendant!!!

I engraved it for my wife Mary. The theme is our two cats Smokey and Bandit who are both well named I assure you. The flowers are what they love to play in and sniff while they are chasing Monarch butterflies and bumblebees at the same time. The tree in the background is their favourite climbing tree.

The technical side is a 90 degree rocked heel graver (as per Ray Cover’s DVD) was used for all the main cuts. A 70 degree graver was used for the scroll shading and main cuts in the picture. All the line bulino work was done with a bulino engraver as per Sam’s DVD and done by hand push method. The dotted bulino bits were made using one of John B’s clever little gravers that he sent me some time ago. The background is relieved and a size 1 beading tool was used to texture it. This gives a really nice satin look to the background as opposed to a black background that stippling produces.

It was a cool wee project to get into and overall it took about 20 hours. The scroll work was a fraction of that and the pictorial took most of the time. That’s bandit at the top and Smokey at the bottom. The small pendant is about actual size.

As usual any comments or critique, both good and bad, are more than welcome.

Cheers
Andrew

Patternweldor

Hi Andrew.. I think your pendant is just beautiful, it is so full of life and has a very nice flow to it, I really like the layout, great balance.

Thanks for showing this, its great inspiration.

Chris

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew, You are doing some fine work that inspires and makes me want to spend more time practing drawing and engraving...
Thanks
Jerry

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
Beautiful work Andy! I hope some day I will be able to do that. Your scrole work is just what I need to study and practice on. Your picture work is superb.

Thank you for shareing.
letterguy
Jim Sackett

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
notwithstanding the fact that i'm a cat lover, this is surely one great fob ! you sure this aint a photoshop trick ?

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew,

This engraving is definitely the "cats meow"!! Awesome work & the photo alone should be responsible for a marked increase in the sale of blank keyring fobs from GRS!

Well done my friend, well done!

Weldon

Andy

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew,
You've really worked the kinks out of your scroll work:D Everything looks great. Glad to see your putting your work on something other than practice plates finally:)

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beautiful cats and a beautiful pendant - I'm sure your wife is going to get major compliments for that.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
That is one heck of a fine job, Andrew! Lovely scrollwork and felines, and the white whiskers against the black fur...!!!!! Bravo! / ~Sam

Latest posts

Sponsors