Solder melting through silver

purplepepper8

Hey, I was making a piece which involved soldering 18k red gold wires to a Sterling silver dome. Most of them worked out fine, but for a couple of them the solder would burn through the silver and disappear rather than flow on top of it. I was using 18k red easy solder but layer tried with 18k yellow and with silver solder and none of them would flow. As you can see from the phot these holes form where I put the chip. Any idea what is going on/ what I can do to successfully solder the wires on? Thank you Screenshot_20230629_060209_Gallery.jpg

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
Repickle & try again. reclean the wires with mild abrasive before fluxing.
remember the gold even with a higher melting point is much thinner so it‘s collapsing before the silver is hot enough for the solder to flow.

purplepepper8

Repickle & try again. reclean the wires with mild abrasive before fluxing.
remember the gold even with a higher melting point is much thinner so it‘s collapsing before the silver is hot enough for the solder to flow.
I tried cleaning with abrasives and pickling.
Yes the gold does have a chance to melt sooner but I even tried sweating the solder onto the silver and it still forms these holes

Goldjockey

Elite Cafe Member
Silver solder will flow at a lower temp than gold solder
Correct! For gold to silver, try #56 silver solder on clean surfaces and use plenty of borax based flux (I prefer “Handy Flux” from Rio Grande). Heat smoothly and gradually until the solder flows, and as soon as you have a good joint remove heat, as overheating will cause exactly the same problem you’re experiencing now.

purplepepper8

Correct! For gold to silver, try #56 silver solder on clean surfaces and use plenty of borax based flux (I prefer “Handy Flux” from Rio Grande). Heat smoothly and gradually until the solder flows, and as soon as you have a good joint remove heat, as overheating will cause exactly the same problem you’re experiencing now.
Ok will try thank you

Latest posts

Sponsors