Some bright cut with a Magnum

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I just got a new magnum hand piece the other day. Couldn't wait to put it to the test. This is a great hand piece for bright cutting. It will hog out cuts like nobody's business. It has a nice action different from the 901 at startup. You can feel that it can pack a punch if you want it to. It can do fine lines also but the heavy stainless handle makes it much more difficult for me compared to the Monarch. Overall if you do much bright cutting it's a must have. Here's a sample of what I did with it. I used 2.0mm flat, 18/10 liner and a 120 square here and there.
Sorry the pictures not real good but I just gave it a quick shot on a desktop. This shinny silver stuff is the darnedest stuff to photograph. I know a tent is a must but you almost need lights at a hundred different angles to really nail it.

There I think this second picture is better.

Attachments

• small buckle low res.jpg
    small buckle low res.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 308
  • small oval buckle copy.jpg
    small oval buckle copy.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hey Mike, nice job brightcutting. For me, this kind of work is where the Magnum really shines. I've watched Marcus Hunt engrave some extremely delicate work with it too, so it's proving to be quite the all-around handpiece for a lot of people. I reserve mine for removing metal such as brightcutting or massive background removal. / ~Sam

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Guys. I was just pretty impressed with Magnums ease of bright cutting. Seems to keep a flat graver tracking true without going toward one side or the other.

Sam I haven't tried it for background removal but I'll bet it works like a charm. I would think it would sculpt like a champ, like the work Phil Coggan has done.

John your the best.

Hi Ed thanks.

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sweet work Mike! I've played with bright cutting a little but no success :eek: Thanks for posting! Dwayne

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
ok, guys- what's with the magnum hand piece ? is it xtra powerful ? moreso than my regular gravermeister ?
would this fit my meister ? my meister will do some heavy duty trenching !

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Monk, the Magnum is the most powerful hand piece in the GRS armoury and can really pack a wallop! It isn't made to fit the Gravermeister unfortunately. GRS have now come up with a new piston which leaks a lot less air than the old one, and this (along with the new short barrel) makes it capable of using the complete power range; from extra heavy cutting to ultra fine. My preference is for the light weight aluminium handle as I find the regular Magnum too heavy for all day cutting. It really is a versatile hand piece and I'm finding that I'm using it more than my 901.

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Really nice work, Mike.
And the Magnum really ROCKS with the Airtact.
Hey.....if you get the chance, try this:
Perform a "wriggle cut" with the Magnum and a typical flat graver---but take it easy, you can get into trouble quickly.
Then try doing a "wriggle cut" using the Magnum and a highly polished 120 graver.

Last edited:

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Brian,
Quite some time ago I showed Diane Scalese that you could do wriggle with a Magnum and get a different look but only with a flat. How do you get a "wriggle" effect with a 120? You can't walk it from edge to edge?

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rex, You're right. I should've explained it better. You won't get the wriggle effect with a 120, but you'll get a different pattern.
Basically, just cut a line, but rock the 120 graver back and forth from edge to edge.(in wriggle cut fashion)
My bad.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Brian. I'll have to give your suggestions a try. I have a project I'm working on that is of art deco motif. I'll be applying a lot of different textures to give geometric differentials to the design.

Dwayne if I can help you with brightcut just let me know. It's not difficult.

Latest posts

Sponsors