Some Carving

Andrew Biggs

Hi phil

Fantastic work as usual. The sculpture work is incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could you please give us a brief description of how you go about your sculpting.

Do you cut/chisel your beveled edges?
Use punches?
Combination of the both?
How do you get that really smooth finish to the metal?

OK, OK, it may take a book......... but you know what I mean :)

Cheers
Andrew

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use various shaped chisels, the main ones I suppose are flat, sometimes they're changed every few seconds, scrapers and burnishers are used for the smooth surface. Punches are only used to matt the background.

Phil

Ken Hurst

Elite Cafe Member
Ahhhh, Mr. Phil. I just can't seem to find the right words to describe the quality of your work and my admiration of your seemingly endless skills ! Did you start engraving about 100 years ago to develop this level of skill ?;) Ken

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
I find this sculpted engraving fascinating, especially as a heavy handed engraver. The material removed must be substantial. Beautiful work!

Jordi

Amazing work, Phil !
Sorry for my translation problems: what do you mean by 'flat' chisels? Is it possible to see a picture or drawing of them? Thanks.

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phil,

Thanks for showing your work. Wonderfully done. It's so interesting to look at the difference in interpretation by the world's best. Griffnee, Lovenberg, yourself, Churchill, just to name a few. I suspect the tools and techniques are quite similar but the way each interprets their vision is often vastly different.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
phil: some engravers are concerned that others may copy their work and pass it off as their own. i think your work would be the last to ever be hijacked by anybody. when i upload to the forum i always make backups and keep on a jump drive, i've nearly gone blind looking at this marvellous work on my jumper.