Question: something about sharing designs

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is probably another stupid idea of me.

The forum I like it very much and was thinking for a while about an extra, something about sharing designs.

I know Sam is quite alert about the use of his designs without knowing or got paid.
So it could be quite naïve of me, thinking all members in this community are honest people.
My idea is a extra sub category in the “Photo Gallery†or elsewhere, that only registered members can see when logged in and meant to share designs.
I’m not saying I’m that good at it, but I can make much more designs than I can engrave. Other members perhaps struggle with designs. And as far as I learned, all starts with a good design. Some scrolls I can draw them, animals is a bit harder for me.

However, if we could add a “design†part where all those who don’t mind if there designs are used after one asked properly, or others could ask to make a design for them, it could be something useful. It should only be visible for members, and we could suppose all of them are honest. On the other hand all that is being posted and is not design, can be copied as well.

I don’t have the right formula for it how it should work, but in a way I think it is stupid that some of the designs are only used once by the one who made them.
And those who are not able to make a properly design will copy the designs of others anyhow.

So my question is: Do you have any interests in this? Do you think it could work? Is Sam willing to add it if there is some interests? Any suggestions?

arnaud

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
I think the premise of this is great. The down side to it is someone will access this and as happened to Sam find the art available in clip art form to all. Not to say this idea should not be pursued, it will help those that struggle with designs spend more time cutting. Even if the work is just used as drawing aids . That will help train the hand and mind. A gallery of basic designs from across the Cafe's broad reach would be great.:thumbs up:

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Ok Arnaud, this is not the first time you prompted the idea ; )
How about.. instead of having designs on some "vector art" place for a small fee, have them all here (those you want to share) for a small donation towards the uprunning of the site.
Might be abit of a hassle to setup, but then once done it saves searching all over the place for relative ideas and would bring in abit of revenue.

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
I like the idea, I especially like Arnauds designs . I use the designs I find online as a drawing aid, I'm quite illiterate on the computer and wouldn't know how to take them beyond that anyway ( but I am taking lessons). Maybe if they were offered as drawing aids only, with some written tips in a form that can't be downloaded w/o permission,agreement or payment. Anyway I'd love to see a design morgue, designs for drawing is one of my main interests on forum sites. DG

BES

Elite Cafe Member
HI Аrnaud!

I have looked All your words!

To look some photos registration is necessary!
All of us already are members of the closed club!
If there is a mean person who wishes to steal idea, it will steal it looking at a photo which the member of a forum has exposed on the general viewing!
To alter a photo in vector drawing, and to add to it some elements it is possible, to any who is able to draw a hand or on the computer!

My head has given birth here that!

1 to Create on a site a separate branch where the directory will "download".

2 In this directory to make sections

Councils (tools, adaptations, methods of processing of metal) in format PDF (each clubman at whom is, the idea, writes the text with high quality photos, does the PDF-document and places it)

Drawings (drawings of various products in a vector format each clubman who wants will share the drawing, does drawing in 3 variants – ai, eps, cdr, a small photo for viewing to understand that in a file and places it)

3 Donations!
Everyone who wishes to help a forum, can do donations! The donation sum should hang in site top! That it all saw at a forum! In the end of the year this sum can be distributed as follows
And site Development (server payment)
The Award to the beginning participant (young talent of year, the best engravers clubmen choose, the one who in their opinion is worthy! The award not money, and training payment at the best school of engravers with a full board and in transit to a training place)
With In the end of each year to publish a colourful album of the best photos and drawings, to sell an album all interested person! Money from sale arrives in site fund

Approximately so!

BES
Eric S. Brezhitsky

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
not enough ample support

Thank you for your input on this, but I think the idea has not much chance as only 6 of the 3000 members have a kind of interest.

@ Quickcut, no matter how something is on the Internet or published elsewhere in a different way, there are always some people who think all is for free.
So even when a company pays for one of Sam’s designs to make Christmas paper, one could use the Christmas paper to make a copied design for something else.
But no matter what, as one publishes a design, there is a date on it, an even with or without Copyright on it, it will always be property of the owner of the first design.

@ Chris, yes I still have this idea and want to find a way to do something more with design. I’m aware that designs that are showed can be used by others to make some profit on it. That is unfortunate, and as long as a big company like Coca Cola does not steal one of my designs, I can’t do much about it. Sure the Internet makes things easyer, copying however is from all times, so couldn’t we make some profit on it?
At least I would be interested to know who is using some of my designs, how they turned out etc. Now I can only guess

Chris, the disable right click function doesn’t work, everything can be copied, for example the “print screen function”
Your idea of donation to help the extra’s for server running, could work perhaps.

@ Dave, thank you for liking my designs, and if you would like to use one please let me know.

@ Bes, thank you for your input on this, I think you have some good concrete ideas how to make it work. I would not make it that complicated to start with.
The reason I started this tread is also to find out if there is some interests for this, and it seems it is not.

Sure I could try to offer my designs to Istock as well, but even then designs will be copied without knowing by who and what for.

In my opinion there are to ways to do designs for others, one is the anonymous way, one makes a design, don’t use it for him/her self but sells it anonymous. Then the one that paid for the design may say he created it himself. So this way there is more than just exclusivity.

The other is to give one license to use a design for a particular purpose, could be also exclusive.

My conclusion so far is that there is not enough ample support. So I probably will have to find another way if I want to design for others.

arnaud

Last edited:

BES

Elite Cafe Member
Plagiarism

Hi Arnaud!

Plagiarism exists so much, how many there is a person!
It seems that to supervise this phenomenon is almost impossible, but I think that ways are!

Arnaud if to look on the other hand at this phenomenon, answer itself one question:
– «You are ready instead of what to create beauty, months to spend the time for trips to court, infinite judicial sessions which can even be not in your advantage?»

Who compensates you the time wasted by you?
Who compensates you health?
Who compensates you the spent nerves?

I will answer at once anybody!

Company Apple has won court against PSYSTAR, this trial has occupied not one year, I will remind that Apple, it is the company with milliard turns, huge staff of lawyers and lawyers, and at all it they needed to prove some years, that knew all PSYSTAR – thieves!

You tell, well, to throw all and easy to look how rascals and thieves earn money for my work?

Certainly is not present!
Here the standard approach is necessary not!
In degree of the impudence and perfidy response should surpass actions of the thief many times over!

I will think over it and I will inform you and the rests!

With the Best regards!

BES
Eric S. Brezhitsky

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think the idea has not much chance as only 6 of the 3000 members have a kind of interest.
Arnaud
1. Generally, only 10% of the members of any forum are active.
2. 321 have read the thread so far, that fits the norm.
3. Those responding are beginners who would benefit from the idea.
4. The experts are conspicuous in their absence. It would be of no benefit to them. Perhaps time spent outweighs altruism. They usually will freely nurse a beginner in developing his own designs, but probably won't do their work for them.
5. I am lucky to draw stick figures, let alone a complex design.

Dave

Bunic

Elite Cafe Member
Arnaud,

I am very interested in having a location of 'art to study' here. Obviously, I'm not too concerned about anyone stealing my current drawings.

You are absolutely right, anything on the web is 'stealable.'

Great idea, though.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
so far, things have been fairly simple here on the forum. i feel that's by design. i think it might be prudent to check first with the landlord on this, before making any decisions about such changes. afterall, we all just visit here, get to have a good time, a free education, and it's all paid for by sam. jmho.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes Monk, I also realized these arguments you mention, I only tried to add some feature like "fresh air". Can't help it, my brain only stops thinking when I'm a sleep. :big grin:

arnaud

Latest posts

Sponsors