Something different - Japanese plates

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I came across these two plates and thought they were pretty interesting. My photos didn't capture the gilding extremely well but they show the engraving fairly well. They look quite a bit better than the photos in person. The plates are 6" in diameter and the engraved centers are 3". The description is on the back of the plates.:D

Peter

Attachments

• P1000664(1).jpg
    P1000664(1).jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 244
  • P1000665(1).jpg
    P1000665(1).jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 235
  • P1000666(1).jpg
    P1000666(1).jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 205
M

mcrapo

Very nice. It is great to see other cultures and there art.

Thanks for sharing them.

Mike

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Something Different Japanese Plates

abigail will break into a cold sweat when she sees this !

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
These are great, Peter, thank you for posting!

The Japanese style has great economy of line yet loaded with expression.

Does anyone have experience of successful gilding, used the ancient way with an amalgam of gold and mercury then evaporating the mercury. I have tried without success on silver, and following some instructions. What I like about the idea of gilding is that the gold forms an alloy with the silver and there is a boundary layer of inter metal diffusion, hence a more tenacious bonding, in comparison with gold plating. Apart from the time honored gold inlay technique, does anyone ever use a gilding after engraving silver, and then using a high speed dental hand-piece to cut back through to the silver in the backrground to give contrast?

Rod

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rod,
Your analysis is precisely what I noticed and was intrigued about the engravings. There are very few cuts yet the subject is captured well.

I have no idea how old the plates are or anything else about them. I did notice they are signed, each with different symbols.

Abigail, I forgot about your amazing experiences with hummingbirds. I could see why you like that plate.

Peter

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dan,

Thanks for this Chokin video reference! Do you know of any other engraving tradition that bright cuts soft metals with hammer and chisel? Wish there was an english sound track so I could understand the various liquid dips and procedures, however it is still a very good demonstration??

best

Rod

Latest posts

Sponsors