Somewhat related!!

Santo

Elite Cafe Member
Hey all -- I know this is an engraving forum but I also know from reading that a fair bunch of you are or have done some scrimshaw. My question, and forgive me for straying but scrimshanders do not have a fourm like this one, is -- has anyone tried scrimming on tagua nut as an ivory alternative? And if you have how do you keep it from staining? I usually work with mastodon or fossilized ivory but read about tauga nut the "vegitable ivory". It's hard and polishes like a dream but no matter how much I polish it will still stain. Not bad but an annoying shadow. It doesn't seem to matter it its oil paint or ink although Higgins ink seems to be the worse. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance and again, forgive my foray.

I was also so disappointed that I missed the engravers pin delivery. I was out of town for awhile and did not check in for awhile and missed it :( But am so happy :) that there is to be a reorder. Sam, I'll take 2 please

Thanks

Santo

ihsfab

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Santo there is a local guy that makes fake ivory grips for colts and the other guns like the SAA uses. I don't know how they would scrimshaw but you might give him a call if that is something that you are looking for. Here's his link http://www.gripmaker.com/.

DanM

Elite Cafe Member
It's been a while since i have scrimmed on tagua nuts,but you can try a couple things. you can spray the blank suface with clear krylon lacquer and after the nut is inked rub the nut surface with fine steel wool to remove the lacquer. the nuts need to be aged a couple years after picking or there is to much oil content in them.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Santo.
I have scrimmed and carved a lot of these nuts.
And sliced them for inlays into wooden items.
Coating them with Super Glue before the final polish works for me.
That way they don't stain badly when scrimmed and inked.
I mostly use oil base Speedball printers ink or sometimes air brush paint.
Give both the glue and the Krylon that DanM mentioned a try.
John B.

Latest posts

Sponsors