Source for brass punches or brazing rods

Debop

Hi Everyone,
I'm a new engraver (and a lurker on this site I must confess). I'm going to start some gold inlay but need to get some of the brass punches for my GraverMach. Can anyone point me to a source from which to order these or to get the brazing rods from which I can make them please? What should I ask for when ordering? I'm finding nothing on my own so I know I'm not looking in the right places.

Thanks muchly,
Karen O'Brien:)

msar24

I do not know where you are located but any place that has welding supplies will have the brass brazing rod. That includes most hardware stores that have welding supplies like Home Depot, Lowes, Tractor Supply, Ace, etc.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you are using the GRS quick release collets, they have a .125 or 1/8" round opening that accepts 1/8" round brass stock perfectly. It is typically something you can find in the local hardware store.

Peter

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Most hardware and hobby shops have 1/8 inch brass rod. It will come in one foot or 3 foot length.

Debop

Keven, Peter and Sandy,

Hey, thanks very much for the help. I live in Austin, Texas and we must have a Lowe's or Home Depot on every other corner. Gonna head over there this weekend and then get started!

Karen

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Karen,
I don't think you should have any trouble finding brass stock, but if you do, let me know and I can send you some. I have not seen it at Lowes or Home Depot but I haven't looked there. I have seen it at my local True Value Hardware and an artist supply shop called Blicks.

Good Luck,
Peter