Speaking of Carbide Gravers.......

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I made a post a few weeks or so back about some carbide gravers we were ordering in my shop. Here is a link for them: http://carbidegravers.com/index.htm
The gravers are well constructed, (carbide soldered to round steel post) fit GRS quickchange tips, and are offered in various profiles. I used the flat last week with standard 45deg face and 15deg or so heel. Some of the best bright cutting I've ever achieved.
So here are some questions for those with carbide experience:
Can these be used to cut stainless well?. (My results were dismal even with a dubbed point on 120 deg) If so what type of geometry.
Other suggested angles for different metals?
How about lettering? The flat has a nice tapered profile.
Like I say, I've used them successfully in gold using typical angles. I'd just like to hear any tips and tricks for working with these buggers. Also any thoughts on the metal composition and similar offerings stateside.
Thanks in advance y'all!

Attachments

• Gravers.jpg
    Gravers.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 191

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Generally speaking carbide is a horrible material for gravers. I've never found it to give good results as its too brittle. It's more a "get out of jail" card when all else fails. Lindsay's Carbalt and GRS' C-Max are exceptions to this but they're not pure carbide gravers.

But results also have to do with the type of graver you are using too. Flats are a special tool for specific jobs as are the bottom two which look like knife tools. The top one is an onglette and I'll say this one last time, forget the onglette for general engraving, people! You WILL get better results making tools from square stock.

I know there will be some who say "I've always used an onglette" and I've seen the odd elderly person on the ski slopes with wooden skis, six foot poles, and leather boots. They could still ski but put them up against modern equipment and there is no way it could compete. It's the same with gravers. Onglettes do have a place but NOT with general engraving. Engraving is hard enough so why chose to put yourself at a disadvantage?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
whoa, there ! onglettes were the first tools i learned to really hate.

Choppers_rule

Elite Cafe Member
I talked to a master engraver and he has been engraving for more than 40 years. He mostly use an onglete for gun/ rifle engraving, not a square graver.

Sponsors