Speaking of Marines.....

Abigail

Administrator
My daughter's boyfriend is a Marine. He has been in Iraq since September. She faithfully sends him care packages as often as she can. She tells me shipping costs are averaging about $30 to $40 per shipment. (I'm sure she is sending more than just the bare necessities)

She also tells me that the Marines are not supplied with soap, deoderant, toothpaste, toothbrushes, antifungal cream, Q-tips etc.

I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around this. Does anyone know if this is true or not?
If it is true, what about the guys over there that don't have family or girlfriends to send them these necessities?
Feedback?

Thanks,
Abigail

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What they have either available for purchase or supplied to them is mostly a function of location. They have to travel light so to speak so they can't be packing a lot of extra with them. Different branches of service have different rules and even those blanket policies change with locations.

When I was over there the first time we did this, a lot of people sent little care packages addressed to "any service member". They had little Gideon New Testament Bibles, toiletries, gum and what not. I don't know what they need these days but until we got a gedunk set up or a "shopette" we had no toilet paper other than the matchbook size we got in a package of MRE's! That AIN'T enough.

They don't use that over in sand land, they use the left hand for that sort of thing and a little shower head to clean up that's attached to a hose like in a beauty shop hair wash basin. Also the reason you don't make gestures with the left hand such as waving or anything else, it's considered an insult.

The most important thing any of us got was mail, letters from home, little girls and boys from classrooms all over the nation, churches you name it. Nothing but nothing beats a letter from someone you cherish. I still have a lot of mine from Desert Storm. I don't know if that helps answer your question or not.:cool:

Dulltool

Elite Cafe Member
Abigail,
Marines will have access to a post PX (store) where they can buy the brand of personal items that they like... soap, deodorant, etc. I can only remember being ISSUED these items while in Boot Camp. With that said... it's possible that they can't get certain brands of toiletries.

I also hope this helps,

Dennis

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
speaking of marines

i can remember a whole bunch of years ago sitting in a stinking jungle, thinking how wonderful a pair of dry socks and maybe a cold ice tea would be. or better yet, a cold six pack ! god what a dream that was ! circumstantially, i'd guess now an then these guys and gals may be cut off from the creature comforts. it aint easy but some how you get thru this. we all pray first for their safety, then send care packages when you can.

Abigail

Administrator
Thank you everyone for your replies.

I guess I just thought that things like SOAP and TOOTHPASTE would be 'issued' to them, and that they wouldnt have to BUY it for goodness sakes. Do the convicts in our prisons have to buy their own soap and toothpaste?

Sam told me that he saw on the news once that the soldiers had to buy their own bullet proof vests if they wanted one.

I guess we (I) take alot of things for granted.

Abigail

beegee

Elite Cafe Member
My son is a Gunnery Sgt. He spent a year in Iraq. There are many Marines who get NOTHING from home,have no families or friends. It would be nice to send some small packages and letters to them. I will get an address for that. They also like coffee. I subscribed to a Dunkin' Donuts monthly coffee shipment plan for my son's unit while he was there.

Abigail

Administrator
Beegee,
See, that is what has been tugging at my heart...the fact that there are Maringes there that get NOTHING.
Amanda (my daughter) tells me that her boyfriend says they all share their care packages with each other and that the mail they get really keeps them going.
He said he reads his letters from home over and over and over.
I'll be looking for that address. Thank You.
Abigail

beegee

Elite Cafe Member
My son had a private in his unit that never got anything. The other guys would share their letters and care packages. One thing that is really nice is to have school children write letters. The family support groups on the Marine bases have lists of Marines who never get mail or packages. I don't know how they compile these lists, but I've gotten many names and written some letters. A Christmas card would be nice. I 'llpost more info when I get it this afternoon or tomorrow.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If I could figure out a way to put the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders in a package to send over there I'd do it.

The Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders are just one of the many fine entertainers who've made multiple trips over to entertain the troops. Just one more reason to appreciate them. ;)

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I lucked out and got to see Bob Hope on his last USO tour. Fine American! You wouldn't believe the size of the letters on those que cards (poster boards).

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Our Sunday School class has three Sgt's in Iraq and we have sent them 13 packages each to distribute to each member in their platoon. All the packages have the basic hygene stuff plus some things that will make their lives a little easier, such as "men" magazines (no girlie mags), handy-wipes, some games and such. They need any and all the support we can give them.

Bill

nicglass1

yeah

wow, i'm getting in late on this one, but i just got back from iraq around 2 years ago. most of the large care packages that get sent to a company usually just get put in the middle of the barricks and then guys just pretty much get what they want out of it. and as for soap and such, most of the bases that guys get stationed at are pretty built up and all of the ones that i was ever on have a PX sort of thing set up. lets just say that socks and that sort of thing are always a welcome site. not becuase they can't buy them on their own, just most people are cheap and just use what they have (at least i did anyway) but letters and things like that are always a great thing, and the ones from school kids are always good. but honestly, most of the letters that just get addressed "any marine" all say the same thing... "we are all so proud of you and what you are doing for your country, please be careful and come home safe" or something along those lines. that is all well and good, and it is nice and all, but i always thought that something different once in awhile would be nice. say something about your personal experience or a loved one you have in iraq or just how your life is going at that point in time. i know that sounds strange, but it would have been nice. anways i will stop rambling. y'all have a good one!