Question: Split leg apron for engraving

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm looking into buying a split leg apron for engraving. While removing background with a high-speed bur I looked over at my left arm it was full of fine shavings and in my haste I did not think and tried to rub it off big mistake they all ended up stuck in my arm had to use tape to remove it and my microscope so now I have bought some long gloves and I am now looking into buying an apron split leg of course what do you guys recommend.

I have seen some on Amazon but none seem to be durable and they have bad reviews either straps becoming undone or some other problems I want something that will last me a lifetime.

I found this on Amazon and see only one with two positive reviews I like the fact that it doesn't have a pocket so there is no place for metal shavings to fall into what do you guys think?
Steiner 10336 Bib Apron, Split Leg...00186P4DI/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_ap_am_us?ie=UTF8
Thanks again

Carlos De La O III

Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carlos,

For engraving, I have always worn a conventional shop apron, not a split leg. I mostly sit while engraving so the chips collect on the part of the apron across my thighs. When I stand up after an engraving session, I hold the bottom of the apron as I walk to a trash can where I shake out the chips. This method keeps the steel chips from getting imbedded in my shirt and pants and from falling on the floor where they will become imbedded in the soles of my shoes. If most of your work is with a rotary grinder where the grindings will mostly get on your chest and sleeves, I would consider a lab coat.

Regards,
Roger

glstrcowboy

Elite Cafe Member
Either a lab coat, a shop coat or a $3 suit coat from the thrift store.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have a stack of GRS Training aprons. They give me one every time I go to class. See if you like one on Sunday. If you do, it's yours.

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
I do most of my engraving at my jewelry bench, I have a piece of buckskin attached under the bench that lays over my lap. This acts at a catch all for engraving chips, filings , and the occasional dropped burr or tool. When working with precious metals I save everything I can to reclaim some of my lost money at the refiners, and it does a good job.
Oh and it does a great job of keeping the chips off of my chair, not a spot where you want small sharp chips of metal, believe me....:eek:
If not at me bench, it's a shop apron for me.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
being a welder, at times i use a leather pull-over. there are good leather aprons at most welding supply outlets. they are not pricey, and could be easily split with a utility knife. will outlast you many times over.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I do most of my engraving at my jewelry bench, I have a piece of buckskin attached under the bench that lays over my lap. This acts at a catch all for engraving chips, filings , and the occasional dropped burr or tool. When working with precious metals I save everything I can to reclaim some of my lost money at the refiners, and it does a good job.
Oh and it does a great job of keeping the chips off of my chair, not a spot where you want small sharp chips of metal, believe me....:eek:
If not at me bench, it's a shop apron for me.

Could you post a picture of your buckskin setup

Carlos De La O III

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
Here is a few quick shots of my bench with the leather piece, it's needing to be replaced, but after 25+ years the old chunk of buckskin has done well.
I plan on changing the design a bit, longer in the back, and front, and I may hang it from hooks or snaps rather than nail it to the bench like this one is so it can be removed.
I did know a jeweler who had a similar catch-all, but he made his like a apron that he would tie around his waist and attach the other end with two hooks under the bench. He said that it caught more of the metal filings, but I figured that I get up from my bench when working on jewelry to go to the polisher or pickle pot that it wouldn't work so well for me.
Most of the benches that I have worked at for other people have a metal lined drawer that pulls out under your work as a catch all, such as this bench.www.ottofrei.com/Maple-John-Frei-Double-Bank-Custom-Workbench.html.

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
That's buckskin Brian, not buck naked... But hey if that's how you roll, power to ya...:cool:
Of course even with my little AC. my shop is still 89 degrees F. in there, and over 100 outside. It's a hot day in Nor-Cal., so hey you may be on to something,,:thinking:,,, Naw I don't want to have to explain that one to my wife.

Latest posts

Sponsors